PCM tuning package?

2000StreetRod

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport FI, 03 Ltd V8
I currently have a custom tune and SCT X3 Powerflash from Henson Performance and James is in the process of updating my tune for my Banshee M90 supercharger kit installation. I eventually want to be able to perform my own tweaking of my Sport tune. I plan to replace my Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon with a 2nd generation 4 door Explorer which I would also like to be able to tune.

If I stay with SCT products I would have to purchase the Advantage III Ford Pro Racer software for $349 and another Powerflash for the 4 door. I think the Pro Racer software allows use with multiple PCMs. I can purchase a used Powerflash that is unmarried with 2 or more unlocks remaining for about $250 on ebay. So for a total of $600 I would have unlimited reprogramming (number of times) capability for both vehicles. One advantage of the Powerflash is the capability to datalog and program via the OBD II port with no other interfaces to the PCM required. For me another advantage is that I'm familiar with using the datalogging, data plotting and reprogramming tools. I'm unfamiliar with the Pro Racer package interface or capabilities but I think that's what James is using for my tunes and other forum members (Jakee and 4pointslow) seem to be successfully using it.

There are other products available (TwEECer, HP Tuners) that I have to research for PCM interface, cost, license restrictions, and capabilities). Since I only plan to support two vehicles I don't want to pay for licensing I'll never use.

If you have first hand experience using an Explorer capable PCM tuning package please post your opinion of its merits and/or limitations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Delta Force Tuning

According to their website Delta Force Tuning supports all engines in the 1997 thru 2001 Explorer. Their Special Forces tuning kit sells for $420 and there are two versions of it: a flash version and a chip version. The price of the Special Forces software (Flash version) allows programming 2 vehicles. Additional vehicles can be programmed with the purchase of Bullets ($200 each). The chip version requires the purchase of an additional plug-in chip for a second vehicle. Apparently the flash version programs via the OBD II port but the photo doesn't show an interface cable or data converter nor does the description mention one. There is an interface programmer listed for $295 but for some reason the photo of it is not available. It's description: "The Interface is a state of the art programmer. The Interface can hold up to 5 programs including your stock tune. The Interface comes with Bullet. Additional Bullets (1 bullet covers one vehicle) can be purchased to flash more vehicles. Kit includes Interface, OBD cable, USB cable, Bullet & Multiloader software. Designed for Windows XP and Vista with 32 bit Operating system." All of their software packages are restricted to execute on a specific PC. An unknown specified additional fee is required to execute the software on a second PC.

In my opinion the presentation of the Delta Force products is poorly described and unorganized making it very difficult to determine what's required, what's provided and what's the cost. I'm concerned that photos of several of their offerings are not available for posting. I will attempt to contact them listing my needs (PC based tuning of two 2000 Explorers) to find out what needs to be purchased and the cost.

Jet

JET offers: "DYNAMIC SPECTRUM TUNERS - Designed for the performance enthusiast who wants total control of their vehicle's programming, the JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner is a powerful tuning package. JET’s DST software provides you with the tools needed for precise performance tuning using your laptop or PC. Use of this software will give you the ability to modify virtually every aspect of the vehicle’s programming." However, this software package is only for General Motors vehicles. Their Ford Performance Programmers have very limited capabilities (shift point, firm shift, speed limiter, rev limiter) for only the 1996 thru 2000 5.0L V8.

You might try posting over on one or more of the Mustang forums for the details of the various products. Those guys seem to spend a lot of time tuning their cars.

Sct

I recommend SCT but it is because that is what I use. lol.
There is a fee for adding a second VIN to the Pro Racer package on top of having two Power Flashes.
Also, one thing I am wondering, if you get the pro racer package for your VIN will you be able to open the tune you get from James and modify it. You should ask him. If you can not then you would have to start from a stock tune to be able to do things your self.
Just so you know, you can not "pull" the tune out of your pcm to open it up and modify it with SCT. You can open a stock tune from scratch and modify it and you can open tunes you have already created to modify them more.

code

You will also need a 4 digit code off the pcm sticker. I think it can be read by the Power Flash too. Mine is a BAE2 which was a tune that was later updated to something with a "C" in it.
I also have a way to flash pcm's from a junkyard with my code and VIN info without the PCM hooked to the vehicle. I have two spare PCM's in case something happens. Let me know what your code is and I will see if I can obtain the file for your truck as well.

I have to recommend the SCT Pro Racer Package along with the Lasota Racing training DVD. You'll be well on your way to tuning your ride. You'll get access to the PRP forum but I really didn't find anything there as helpful as the training CD and just doing it.

I must say I have a problem with the "step tuning" part (Park/neutral) of the process that is widely recommended using any tuning package. This will be one of the first things you'll be instructed to do before tuning with load...rev to 1K, hold, rev to 2K, hold, rev to 2.5K, hold...I would not go over 3K. I do not think the 4.0 SOHC is meant to free rev past 3K with no load (the stock tune has the rev limiter in N set somewhere around this point) on the engine and I have seen this engine blow (on video) from doing this.

All and all it's fun to learn.

PCM catch codes

According to a table I found on the internet possibilities for a 2000 Explorer with SOHC V6 are: 1C7B, C0A4, B41D, ACE3, AC10, E228, A717, 6C06, and 0E6A.

The 1998 Explorer SOHC V6 possibilities are: 54CE, EB43, 54BF, EB2D, 2694, C516, 25A6, C52A, AB17, C058, C147, A904, 99F6, F559, 7BB2, 7A9E, F548, and 99E5.

I'll read mine tomorrow. For some reason yours wasn't listed in the table unless I overlooked it.

Edit: I searched the table for BAE2 and it's shown for a 2001 LS with 3.9L engine.

PCM Code

I have pictures somewhere of the PCM connector with the tear tag on it. It is definitely a BAE2, The flash was later updated by ford and the newer tear tag was a C something.
Check this site out.
http://www.obdtester.com/ford-ecu-update/explorer/4.0l_v6_sohc/1998/F87F-12A650-ATC

according to the site the "flash" has been updated quite a few times since I last looked into it. up to a "Z" something now.

PCM strategy vs code

I used my X3 to get vehicle information. It allowed me to read the strategy which is PCAG4A9. It did not have a way to retrieve the catch code or the VIN (all digits unknown) even after returning to the stock program. I found a post on the internet about reading the strategy with the X3 and that the catch code is related to the strategy but not obtainable directly. I remember reading the strategy on my first tune and sending it to James. I think SCT has a table to convert strategies to catch codes.

code

It should still be on the sticker (tear tag) on the PCM connector. I have a picture of mine somewhere.... If I can find it.
Edit- Found it.

Attachments

• PCM Label 4.JPG
    PCM Label 4.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,353

starting from stock

I found a post on a Mustang forum by an SCT tuner that stated all remote tune files sent to customers are encrypted so they can't be read. So I would have to start from scratch for my M90 tune. I also read that the dealer SCT Advantage software has a lot more capabilities than the single use Advantage software. I've had the CRAI8 strategy (1998 Mustang 3.8L and 4.6L
depending on calibration) source code listing for several years and have spent time off and on researching things. It's over 8,000 pages long - fairly well commented. I would like to get a copy of my strategy but the software is company proprietary. I found another table that cross references strategy and calibration code. BAE2 is associated with strategy QAAC5 only. The first 5 digits of my strategy (PCAG4) are associated with calibrations CDE4, HFA3, HWG0, HWG1 and UEJ0 which doesn't match any of the codes in the other table for my year. I'll pull the connector and see what's stamped on the PCM.

My catch code

I didn't even have to pull the connector:
CatchCode.jpg

CDE4 agrees with the entry in the second table for the first 5 digits of my strategy. Part number is XL2F-12A650-ME. According to ebay listings same part number was used on 1999 thru 2001 Explorers. I found one for $40 plus $10 shipping. Having a back up is probably a wise decision. However, I have to deal with PATS. Is $50 a decent price?

According to OBDTester.com:
XL2F-12A650-ME/CDE4 > YU2F-12A650-AFA/HWG0 > YU2F-12A650-AFB/HWG1 > XU7A-12A650-CAA/????

TwEECer

According to their website TwEECer supports any 1996 thru 2000 Explorer, 2003 and 2004 Explorers with the SOHC V6, and 2000.5 thru 2003 Explorer Sports with the SOHC V6. They specifically support 1999 and 2000 with my catch code CDE4. They offer two models, the TwEECer Base and TwEECer RT, either of which can be used with any supported EEC. There is no vehicle year or model specific variations for the TwEECer products. Everything needed to tune is included in the purchase price, TwEECer, Switch, Cables, Software (download from our website). TwEECer Base is $300 and TwEECer RT is $450. The TwEECer RT adds the ability to see a Real Time (RT) data stream of important sensor data and how changes are affecting the engines operation. You do not have to shut off the vehicle and remove the TwEECer to update tuning parameters. The USB connection allows for changes to be done on the fly, even while the engine is running. While the TwEECer can be transferred between vehicles, once removed, all tuning changes move with the TwEECer and the vehicle TwEECer was removed from, returns to the stock calibration. The EEC has a card-edge interface connection at the rear of the unit called the Service (J3) port, where an external EEPROM can be connected. When connected to this port, the contents of the external EEPROM can be substituted for the internal (E)EPROM. This this is how the TwEECer and all other Chip Module makers, can make changes to the OEM calibration. The 1996 and newer vehicles can be re-flashed using a hand held programmer connected to the OBD-II interface. The TwEECer does not make use of the OBD-II port, we ONLY interface through the Service port. There is no Service port on Ford PCM's beginning in 2005, that is why TwEECer vehicle support ends with the 2004 year models

System Requirements
You will need a Desktop PC or Laptop with at least one functioning USB port, running one of the following Operating Systems:
Windows 2000, Windows XP (All Editions) has a 256Mb RAM requirement
Windows Vista & Windows 7 requires a minimum of 1Gb and 2Gb recommended
Windows 8 requires a minimum of 2Gb and 4Gb recommended

In order to record analog signals (such as wideband air/fuel ratios) a data acquisition kit is needed. The TwEECer suggested DI-149 USB Data Acquisition Starter Kit costs $244. In my opinion A/F ratio data is essential so that increases the cost of the TwEECer capability to $694 for a single vehicle.

I have the TwEECer manual if you are interested. It goes through all the many specific changes that you can make in the Strategy line-by-line but I wouldn't feel confident to jump in and start making changes. My evaluation of the TwEECer RT vs the SCT is that much of the TwEECer tuning is done by the user where SCT puts a support person (James Hinson) in the process.

Turning off PATS is simply changing one software switch to 'off'.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........Having a back up is probably a wise decision. However, I have to deal with PATS. Is $50 a decent price?

If you have your own tuning software, you can just disable PATS.

Back