1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

PCV valve location 04 explorer XLT 4.0 v6 SOHC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by princesskari418, June 9, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. princesskari418

princesskari418 New Member

City, State:
      Sarasota, FL
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer V6 4.0
      I have rough idle. came up with EGR valve code and misfire cylinder 4. We replaced the EGR and putting new wires and plugs in now. There wasn't any new codes once the EGR was changed out but figured wires and plugs wouldn't hurt. Did tuneup a few months ago when the idle started acting up. Most of the threads say to check the PCV valve and hoses and WE CAN'T FIND IT! I swear no one has the same engine. All of the pics i've seen of the PCV valve location for the same year and make looks nothing like what I have. My truck was manufactured 10/2003 and the engine says 2003 but my truck is 2004. I have looked up the location for both years and nothing looks the same. Can anyone help me? We have looked in every possible location that is described in all of the threads and pictures and can't find it anywhere. Anyone have any other ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. princesskari418

princesskari418 New Member

City, State:
      Sarasota, FL
      Year and Model:
      2004 Ford Explorer V6 4.0
      I found it! the hose starts on the top/right (standing in front of the car) side of the air intake and the hose runs down behind it to the pcv valve which has wiring attached to it and yes it's bad! the seal is gone. advance auto has it for $45

4. 4FordsonDriveway

4FordsonDriveway New Member

City, State:
      Trabuco Canyon - CA
      Year and Model:
      2004 XLT
      Hello,
      This has been driving me nuts also. So, is where you describe on the drivers side?

5. cjcain28

cjcain28 New Member

City, State:
      kentucky
      Year and Model:
      2004 explorer
      question

how did you end up finding the pcv valve , do you have to do it blind? do you have to take the plastic wheel well cover off? I was quoted around 600 bucks to change it out and was going to see if I could pull it off myself.

thanks