• Register Today It's free!

Picked up a 17 Sport & Question

C4talyst

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbridge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Howdy, I picked up a 17 Sport in Quartz today. I've been looking at these for years and am pretty happy with the purchase.

Question...I thought all Sport models had the Explorer hood emblem, this one does not. Did they do away with that for 17?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Howdy, I picked up a 17 Sport in Quartz today. I've been looking at these for years and am pretty happy with the purchase.

Question...I thought all Sport models had the Explorer hood emblem, this one does not. Did they do away with that for 17?
The Sport should have the hood Explorer badging. Does your Sport have the hood air deflector installed ? Look at Youtube sales videos of 2017 Ford Explorers Sport and you will see the badging. A few has the air deflector on them and it covers the badging. I can't imagine they removed them when installing the deflectors. Look at your window sticker and see if there was a emblem delete line item. Does SPORT appear on the liftgate? Pardon for asking, is your vehicle new or pre-owned. If pre-owned, maybe previous owner removed it. If new, go back to dealer and inquire.

Weird... Our 2017 Sport is badged on the hood...

Mine is badged on the hood too! Id go back to the dealervif its a brand new car

It's new, 40 miles on it. The dealer said they made it optional for 17. It does have the Sport emblem on the rear.

It's new, 40 miles on it. The dealer said they made it optional for 17. It does have the Sport emblem on the rear.

I'm not saying your dealer is not telling you the truth, just ill informed and an end product Ford's stellar QA/QC process. Taken directly from Ford's website for the 2017 Explorer Sport:

Exterior Features

Appearance

Standard

· Black lower front and rear bumpers, wheellip moldings and bodyside cladding

· Body-color liftgate spoiler

· Exhaust - Fascia-integrated, dual tips

· Fog Lamps

· Grille, High gloss black with high gloss black bars

· Hands Free Power Liftgate

· Headlamps – Autolamp Auto On/Off, LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams

· LED Signature Lighting

· LED taillamps with unique blackout treatment on Sport

· Automatic LED Low-Beam Headlamps

· Liftgate Appliqué - high gloss black

· Mirrors - Gloss Black finish, Heated with LED signal indicators and approach lamps

· Painted black exterior door handles

· Roof rack side rails - High Gloss Black

· Unique EXPLORER badge on hood

· Roof rack side rails, gloss black

Optional

· Mirrors - Gloss black, PowerFold with Auto-Fold, drivers memory

· Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat

· White Platinum Metallic Tri-coat Paint

· Canyon Ridge

· Shadow Black

· Magnetic

· Smoked Quartz

· Ingot Silver

It may be worthwhile showing your dealer the website.

the Sport has it on the hood. all others do not

I doubted their assessment, thanks everyone.

A simple but stupid error at the factory... believe it or not these things happen all the time but are caught majority of them. My 07 had the wrong Armrest installed (leather on 1 side instead of 3 sides) on the driver's side and one with all 3 sides covered on the passenger and I know of a F150 XLT that had a Raptors driver's seat installed lol.

I doubted their assessment, thanks everyone.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have the dealer check the 2017 Explorer brochure. In it in the 'Build Your Explorer' part under "Exterior" it shows 'Sterling Grey "EXPLORER" hood lettering' as a Standard feature of the Sport.

Peter

Ironic, one reason we went with the Platinum instead of the Sport is because of the hood badging. My wife hated it.

Anyway, I'm assuming you can take it into the dealer and they would add the badging in their shop. No?

When I bought my '16 Explorer Sport, it did not have the badging. I requested that they put the badging on 2 days after I purchased the vehicle. You should be able to do the same.

When I bought my '16 Explorer Sport, it did not have the badging. I requested that they put the badging on 2 days after I purchased the vehicle. You should be able to do the same.
Did they charge you for that? The lettering is part of the standard Sport package.

Peter

Yeh, when the newer Explorers first came out I didn't like the hood badging...now after looking at the Sports for the past 5 years I kinda want them...heh.
Ironic, one reason we went with the Platinum instead of the Sport is because of the hood badging. My wife hated it.

Anyway, I'm assuming you can take it into the dealer and they would add the badging in their shop. No?

Yeh, when the newer Explorers first came out I didn't like the hood badging...now after looking at the Sports for the past 5 years I kinda want them...heh.

Did they charge you for that? The lettering is part of the standard Sport package.

Peter

In my case, there was no charge, but the dealer tried to use including the letters as part of the negotiation process, lol.

In my case, there was no charge, but the dealer tried to use including the letters as part of the negotiation process, lol.

That was flat wrong of your dealer to use something that comes on the vehicle as standard in the price negotiation process. This should be reported to Ford headquarters IMO.

That was flat wrong of your dealer to use something that comes on the vehicle as standard in the price negotiation process. This should be reported to Ford headquarters IMO.
Tip of this iceberg on this transaction, but they were held in check every step, helps that they want to sell the car so bad, heh. They even tried to include $6,000 in maintenance/warranty plans while doing everything they could to not mention it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tip of this
iceberg on this transaction, but they were held in check every step, helps that they want to sell the car so bad, heh. They even tried to include $6,000 in maintenance/warranty plans while doing everything they could to not mention it.

Okay, worse than I thought, you should report this transaction to the better business bureau of VA and copy Ford headquarters on your email or letter. The most unfortunate part of this is that you held them in check most of the time, but I'm sure there have probably been others that did not.

Back