• Register Today It's free!

Pillar Gauge pod *pics*

Jonathan46237

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer
well since I couldn't find a pillar pod for my Merc i decided to make one with a universal three gauge pod and some fiberglass.

IMAG0426.jpg

a little trimming and screws makes it ready for glass.

IMAG0427.jpg

IMAG0428.jpg

The benefits of being a single 26 year old is lack of dining room table (perfect warm place to lay bondo) and nobody to tell you it smells ohh and my apartment still smells like a body shop

IMAG0429.jpg

IMAG0432.jpg

bondo glass on top of the regular fiberglass gives me room to shape

IMAG0436.jpg

body filler to finish

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0438.jpg

IMAG0446.jpg

this is a textured spray paint that resembles the factory interior grain but color is off so a few more coats to build the texture and I will find a better matching color.

IMAG0451.jpg

Will be adding a boost, water temp for my heat exchanger, and wideband a/f

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome work!!! That look's fantastic.

Thats pretty cool. I was thinking bout doing the same thing but with some mids and highs for my system. Good work though :thumbsup:

Miller I don't know if you can tell but look on my dash where the defrost vent is, that's where I placed the tweeters from my type r components and it looks great and sounds amazing, ha it looks so factory the idiots who busted my windows and stole my equipment left the most expensive speakers I had

Yeah I did notice it. Have you had any issues with the heat from the defroster? I was thinking about doing the same thing but then decided on mounting them under the side view mirror knob. I have the Type R components as well and they sahweeeet!

Thats awesome!

I have a double universal pod and was throwing the idea around of glassing it like you did, but I have absolutely no experience with fiberglassing. Is it hard? It seems pretty straightforward...

no problems at all with heat. but I never drive the dang thing so everyday driving I have no idea

Its not that bad if you have some experience with body work, you can slap the stuff on but you need to make sure you take your time sanding and feathering all edges, no groves high spots etc. the fiberglass is just a two part mix resin and hardener, I use a paint brush to put some resin then lay the mat and brush more resin on top, work out the air bubbles by taping the glass and resin with the brush like you are.. I dont know how to word it but poking at it ,tamping, stamping but not brushing it will just grab the mat and pull it all over the place. I bet there is probably a ton of youtube videos on body work and laying fiberglass

looks good

looka sweet man, get some gauge pics up!!!

Great job. Post some more pics once u get the gauges installed!

if its not too late, could you do a write up on the gauge install.
i wanna install some gauges (trans/oil temp) an im sure some others want to aswell.
Thanks man

I ran into a speed bump with the pillar, I wasn't too happy with the texture so I tried VHT wrinkle paint... bad idea, it looks like crap now, the finish is spotty all over and uneven, im thinking the fact i didn't use a sealer and just a filler primer the paint reacted with the body filler and caused the paint to shrink different on the plastic and on the filler. So i have to sand it all off and try a new paint but as soon as I get it looking the way I want I will show you the gauges.

Gardner I would be more than happy to share the install with you just give me a little time to finish the pod (work is back to 12 hour days)

That sucks bro. It looked really good in the first place. Ive had good luck with the Krylon Wrinkle finish. Maybe give that a shot next time.

I ran into a speed bump with the pillar, I wasn't too happy with the texture so I tried VHT wrinkle paint... bad idea, it looks like crap now, the finish is spotty all over and uneven, im thinking the fact i didn't use a sealer and just a filler primer the paint reacted with the body filler and caused the paint to shrink different on the plastic and on the filler. So i have to sand it all off and try a new paint but as soon as I get it looking the way I want I will show you the gauges.

Gardner I would be more than happy to share the install with you just give me a little time to finish the pod (work is back to 12 hour days)

yeah man, of course
thanks!

See....

I was thinking the same thing. Badass on the build and fit, but id want it textured like OEM?....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back