• Register Today It's free!

PIU vs Civ tail lights

N4YLOR

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford P.I.U. 3.7L
My google searches and searches through this site are getting me no where. Does anyone have a link or a quick explanation as to the difference between PIU and explorer tail lights? My driver's side tail light is full of moisture and I'm getting a lot of flickering, it was recommended to replace the water ridden light. The cheapest used lights on eBay don't always specify police package or not and I don't feel like making a 65 dollar mistake if I don't have to!!
Also, does anyone know where water usually leaks into these housings? Or even into the back of the SUV, on each side just outboard of the center panel that lifts up to reveal the spare? Found it odd that everything is dry except for one puddle of water on each side of the floor. Must be coming through the carbon monoxide vents in the bottom of the body.
Thanks all!!

My guess is the leak is coming from around a hide-a-way light or the hole where it used to be that wasn't sealed.

For you or others that may find this thread: The PIU definitely has different tail lights. I made that mistake and ordered the wrong ones. Many parts are interchangeable but that is not one of them. It looks like it should be identical, but sadly, no.

Back