Please help alternator problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help alternator problem

david71420

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer sport
I have a 1999 ford explorer sport. Its 4.0 sohc i think its called. My alternator went bad and so i went to the salvage yard and got a working alternator. I tested my old one and it was bad at the local auto zone and i tested the new salvaged one and it is good. I went out and bought a brand new battery. It still isnt charging and the light in the dash is still on. Ive checked every fuse and they are all good. I want to know what you guys think i should be checking next and also if there is a fusable link my uncle is telling me to try and find. I would be very appreciative if anybody can hekp me seeing as i lost like 4 days of work so far. Thank you so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Your vehicle uses high current fuses unlike the older vehicles with fusible links. Take a look at a schematic of the charging system, and trace the wiring. Always start with checking all of the fuses.

charging unit

Do you know of a site where i can get a schematic of the charging unit?

If you search this site, you should be able to find one.

Attachments

• 1999 Explorer Charging Schematic (Medium).gif
    1999 Explorer Charging Schematic (Medium).gif
    32.9 KB · Views: 6,498

i dont understand though

where is the alternator in this diagram? i showed my cousin and he doesnt understand, sorry for the newbie question

Look in the lower left quadrant of the diagram...

It is called a generator there...But one area to look as well in the mega-fuse being blown...If you do not have +12 volts at the stud on the back of the alternator the mega fuse or the positive lead is defective/damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced...

Back