Please help keep our trails open... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help keep our trails open...

R

Rick

Please Help!

"Even if you have never written a letter to a
government agency now is the time to do so. Our
sport is in jeopardy and if this and other wilderness
proposals make it to wilderness we will lose most of
the trails we have in not only Utah but all across the
United States. We have to stand up for our rights. A
select few who say they represent the American
people have had the say for years. It is now time for
the people who really use the land to be heard.

Requests for more information or to be added to the
project mail list should be sent to: BLM Utah State
Office WSA Planning Project P.O. Box 45155 Salt
Lake City, UT 84145.

Scoping comments should be sent to the same
address or submitted through the BLM's Internet
website. To be considered during the 63-day public
scoping period, written comments must be received
by May 19,1999. The intemet comment form is
located at:"
Dead Link Removed

For more information:
Dead Link Removed

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Rick glad you mentioned that, let me throw this in--- i hope you all read 4WD and SU magazine its a good mag even if it is a bit Jeep directed anyway if you do you'll see a few pages mentioning another loss in the battle for our rights. The service- powers that be have closed a 3000 acre (including 17 miles of trail) area because of a supposed possible sighting of some kind of toad. green sticker funds and grants were given to this area during its dam rebuilding and it was squandered - the area had 78 campsites prior then it was reduced to the 20-30 site mark and now with the closing there will only be 11 sites left. The area isnt just closed to us but also to any human use period - only frog studies- go figure the dam reconstruction equipment apparently didnt disturb the frogs as much as a few offroaders at a time that only pass thru the area on the trails not rooting around diggin the ground up but we can still fight write letters call your congressperson let them know how disgusted you are with this treatment and by all means if you bought an adventure pass or whatever they are calling them now try to get a refund you cant use that land now can you? Tell your elected official how you feel about the endangered species act. And every time you read about an area in trouble write to them i dont care if its 3000 miles away i have written about the oregon sand dunes and i live on the east coast- i only visited the dunes one time and not to go wheeling but we all have to pitch in. Let the officials know about your clubs how you help out and volunteer and all the good things you do. Dont mention your dues though !!!!!!! beware the pass patrol has been disbanded after 13 years because the government called them a commercial organization because they pay dues and have a website (advertisement yeah right). Yall do what you can.

This is a topic that hits all to close to home. Just this evening my neighbor and I were discussing this very issue. We are faced with several road closures in our area of SW Utah. Remember last year Pres. Clinton executed one of the nations largest land grabs in history in this same area with the creation of the Grand Stair Case. This transaction sparked a heated debate between the counties, state and federal goverments just defining what makes a road.

We as users of the backcountry are entitled to the same priveleges of the so called environmental movements. In order to maintain our rights, we need to lobby and voice our desires just as loud as the other fractions. One thing I have made an effort to do, is not refer to the paths we travel as "trails". Trucks travel on roads, horses and hikers use trails. We need to make every effort to document the primitive roads we presently have open to insure they remain open for our children to explore.

Remember it takes the cry of individuals to voice the masses. Just my two cents.

hey rick just to let you know i went to the scoping page on the SUWAcide wsa page and wrote a lengthy message, comment whatever and surprise, it returned an error when i went to send it, did it 3 times, not my comps problem either, i run a cyrix 686 and havent had any troubles, i waited liek 10 mins between each send and it never worked. i was doing this on the 17th and once on the 18th still didnt work how do ya like them apples. just fyi.

kyle klicker

Rick,
I sent a short message from Oz about shutting tracks. We face the same issues with our State and National Parks. Pretty much all the popular areas get shut down but our veiw is rather than shut them down they should be managed better. Basically the areas they leave for public access become over used to the detriment of the environment. Public access management maybe with a permit or something could help your cause.
Regards Paul Golby
Australia

Back