Poll: does your 4406 swapped explorer have a driveline vibration? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Poll: does your 4406 swapped explorer have a driveline vibration?

Does your 4406 swapped explorer have a driveline vibration?

• Yes, and it is the front driveshaft

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Yes, and it is the rear driveshaft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I'm not sure where its coming from

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • It did, but I fixed it

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 5.0
I would appreciate it if you also post below with:
1. your answer
2. if you your have a double cardan front driveshaft
3. the speed (if applicable)
4. if the vibration is coming from the front or rear driveshaft (if applicable and if you know)
5. how you fixed the vibration (if applicable)
6. modifications that may contribute to the vibration (e.g. lifted, SAS, 37" tires, etc.)

My answers:
1. yes
2. no front shaft yet, trying to decide on f150/expy shaft VS 1st gen shaft with conversion joint, hence the poll
3. over 70 mph or so
4. from the rear driveshaft, probably balance as the driveline angles checked out ok, and the u-joints are new
5. N/A, but I will probably try the hose clamp balance method, and take it to a driveline shop if that doesn't work
6. close to stock height and tire size

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm watching, I have the parts to do mine soon.

BTW, what color green is your Limited? I've got my 99 Limited in the OEM 93 Dark Tourmaline Pearl(green) and plan to make it the stock 98-01 dark green some day. Do you have a picture, I love that green?

Its charcoal green metallic, paint code T3. I love that green, too. I can't seem to find a picture of it clean and shiny, because it rarely is. First pic is next to a black 98, second is racing on Georgetown Lake.

Are you going to do the swap to your 98 or 99/93?

MO883J1.jpg

iyvJ5iu.jpg

That looks good, I love the Limited's. The color schemes attract me to them, only the two toned red Mountaineer do I like better.

My 99 is my mail truck, I rebuilt(totalled) a 93 Limited, then rebuilt the 99 Limited with that, and next I'll make it 302/AWD and upgrade the hatch/bumper with 98-01 parts, and paint it again. I'm aiming at Maco, I've seen some nice results from people who prepped the car before letting them have it.

I voted but I cant answer most of the questions since I never had a vibration after doing the swap.

1. No
2. double cardan

I will add that I used a 1st gen EX front drive shaft and added the flange adapter to it. My memory is fogy but the adapter is something like Spicer #627 but don't quote me.

Definitely the front shaft.

With it out, the vibration is completely gone.

I want to try having a double car dan shaft made for it, one day.

But there are other projects and problems ahead of that one.

1. your answer - I had a vibration, but I fixed it.

2. if you your have a double cardan front driveshaft - Nope, single.

3. the speed (if applicable) - When it was vibrating it was starting around 45.

4. if the vibration is coming from the front or rear driveshaft (if applicable and if you know) - I believe it was coming from the rear driveshaft. I had a single cardan that vibrated so I replaced it with a double cardan that worked better, but still had some vibration.

5. how you fixed the vibration (if applicable) - I took the single cardan rear driveshaft that I had earlier removed and took it to a driveshaft shop. They put new U-Joints in and balanced it. That helped a lot. I then took the front driveshaft out and took it to the same shop. I knew immediately that it was going to fix it as without the front driveshaft in it drove very smooth. New U-Joints and a balance and it is smooth as silk for nearly a year of use on and off-road.

6. modifications that may contribute to the vibration (e.g. lifted, SAS, 37" tires, etc.) - As the vibration is gone, I can't say that there is anything contributing to it. However I'm going from 3.73's to 4.10s this week, so I'll let you know.

mine 97 sport V8 swapped w/4406 ( started w/4406E shift ) my rear shaft is a cut down f-150 with dbl cardon , front is first gen dbl cardon w/ adaptor , with hubs locked i get vibration at the sixty seventy mph range , very slight but more noticeable on deceleration , my personal belief is its the case itself , its a clunky t-case when new but mine had 100,000 miles already , front output bearings , sloppy tolerances ect , i just unlock the front and its fine

Back