Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Possible PCM Failure? 05 Ex 4.6

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by DrCheeto, January 1, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DrCheeto

DrCheeto New Member

City, State:
      Overland Park, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2005 Ex Limited 4.6
      So I've been battling a p0620 and erratic "check charging system" errors. I had replaced the alternator, the pigtail, and even ran a new wire to the PCM.

Using my scan tools (Handheld scanner, and ELM327 with torque pro), when this would happen, the PCM would sense 9.0v or 22.0v - Probing the wire at the PCM would yield 13.5v, as would probing the battery, so the alternator was obviously not the culprit here.

I was just ignoring this for the time being until I could do further troubleshooting before popping 200+ on a reman PCM - However, yesterday I was driving back from somewhere and went to pass someone and experienced a misfire and a huge power loss. I pulled codes and got a P0316, P0303, and P0620. At first I assumed a coil had failed, but this was running much, much worse than just a single cylinder misfire, it almost sounded like it had jumped timing (It hasn't. If you turn the car off and on it runs fine for a couple of seconds).

I cleared the codes and then re-pulled them immediately and got a long laundry list of codes that were completely different than the previous set (See picture). Codes were : P0300 (Random misfire), P0307 (Cyl 7 Misfire), P0308 (Cyl 8 Misfire), P0316 (Misfire detected at startup) - This code set itself without ever experiencing a start cycle, P2196 (02 Bank 1 Sensor 1 stuck rich) , P2197 (O2 Bank 2 sensor 1 Sensor Signal stuck lean), P0620 (Generator circuit fault), and P1000 (This code has always been there recently, even after all readiness monitors are completed.)

I can't imagine all this failed at once, but i'd hate to waste 200+ on a computer to find out it's something else. I've checked the harnesses for any damage, haven't found any. Just wanted to post here to see if anyone had any ideas before I pop for a PCM.

Thanks!

received_10160004017270413.png

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.