• Register Today It's free!

power mirrors HELP!!

sporttractuner

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sporttrac XLT
just recently my power mirrors have both stopped working on my 03 trac. I have checked the fuse #1 in tha passenger compartment panel as listed in the owners manual. I have also pulled the switch out and tested it with a muti-meter, and it seams to be working fine. are there any other fuses or relays that i should be checking? i dont believe that the problem is in the mirrors themselves as the both stopped working at the same time.

thanx in advance
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll find the switch is bad or corroded. You can spray into the switch some WD40, work it vigerously, and blow it out. I've "fixed" a couple that way.

Do you have power on the Orange/Lt.Green wire TO the switch??

Symptom Chart Condition Possible Sources Action
The mirrors are inoperative
Central junction box (CJB) fuse 1
Circuitry.
Exterior mirror control switch.

CHECK FOR VOLTAGE TO SWITCH (OG/LG)
Disconnect Exterior Mirror Control Switch plug
Measure the voltage between exterior mirror control switch plug pin 4(OG/LG), harness side and ground.

Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
Check for ground
No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.

CHECK GROUND FOR AN OPEN
Measure the resistance between exterior mirror control switch plug pin 8, BLACK, harness side and ground.

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
CHECK CIRCUIT TO MIRROR

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation

CHECK CIRCUIT TO MIRROR (YE/BK) FOR AN OPEN
Measure the resistance between exterior mirror control switch plug pin 7, (YE/BK) and left exterior rear view mirror plug (with ground illumination lamps) pin 5 (without ground illumination lamps) pin 2, (YE/BK), harness side.

Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new exterior mirror control switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation

So i finally got around to testing the switch, it looks brand new, and according to my milti meter works fine.

ALL fuses and realys in the vehicle are working fine... I did find one blown, and replaced it.. funny though it was labeled 4x4 module, i have a 4x2.

anyhow i am not seeing any voltage to the orange/lt green wire.

so I'm thinking i may need to take it into the dealer. though I don't want to give then a blank PO on shop time.

So before you do, check the connector to the front door to see if you have power there. It's a bit tight there but accessible. Often there's a break in the harness TO this connector, right in the flexible elbow boot area. Anyway, remove the cap on top of the connector, remove the bolt and separate the two halves. Check pin #7 on the vehicle side for power. If there's power there check pin # 7 on the door side for continuity to the O/LG wire @ the mirror switch plug ...... okay, you knew that. If you have no power on the vehicle side wiggle the boot around and see if it gets power. Report your results back to us.

Doorjunction.jpg

C510.jpg

silly question. ignition on or off... I tested with ignition ON, as it should work like this no matter what, but should i see power there when off? is ignition required for the mirrors to funtion?

Should be hot all of the time. Let me make sure I'm right ............

Hot all of the time. It doesn't matter if the ignition switch is on or off.

2003SporttracMirrorCircuit.jpg

(Funny thing is, I'm having trouble with my mirrors but I know it's the switch. I just haven't taken it out and "fixed" it yet:D )

Ncranchero!! My props to you. I removed the rubber wire cover directly beneith the connector, and found not one, but three broken and corroded wires about 3 inches away from the connector. the Or/Gr(power to mirrors), a thicker Black(unknown), and also a thicker yellow/black(the reason my rear right window wouldn't open. I thought it was a bad motor). thanks to you, two of my projects are now done with the help of a couple of 50 cent line connectors.

thanx man.

The black I'm sure is a ground. Sure glad to see you figure it out yourself without feeding the dealership!! Glad to have helped.:chug:

Steve you are the man! I take back some of the bad things I've said about you. ;) :D

Don't do that! You'll ruin my reputation!!:nono:

ordinarily i would assumer black to be the ground, however none of the other switches were faulty.

The black would be #45 in the connector on the harness side, circuit # 57, pin 8 on the switch ...... ground.

Back