Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
In the past I have always used the turkey baster method to replace power steering fluid. Yes, I always use synthetic power steering fluid, never ATF.

I used Redline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid (http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?subCategoryID=5 ) I obtained it at Jegs for $8.99/quart ( http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...tryId=123202&storeId=10001&ddkey=OrderItemAdd ).

Having never been satisfied with the previous method, I decided to perform a complete flush of the power steering system ( pump, reservoir, lines, cooler ).

To begin the procedure, the truck was jacked up and set jack stands so the front wheels are just off the ground.

The first step in the process is to remove the power steering return line at the reservoir. Then I contacted a 5 foot hose to the return line with a short piece of pipe and place ( taped down with duct tape to prevent spilling any fluid ) the end of the hose in a oil drain bucket.

I had several quarts of new power steering fluid ready to add to the reservoir as the old fluid exited.

I had a friend crank the truck and turn the wheel side to side while I added new power steering fluid to the reservoir.

I continued to add new fluid until the discarded fluid ran clear. I used 7 quarts.

After the flush, the reservoir was filled with new fluid and the cap secured.

The used power steering fluid was taken to Advanced Auto Parts for recycling.

Does the truck run/perform better? No, but I have peace of mind that the power steering system is as good as it gets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could add an inline filter on the return line to help keep the fluid clean. Some in line cartridge filters even have built in magnets to trap metal particles from recirculating throughout the system.

You forgot to mention the return line being reconnected.

=P

You could add an inline filter on the return line to help keep the fluid clean. Some in line cartridge filters even have built in magnets to trap metal particles from recirculating throughout the system.

That's a good idea also.:thumbsup:

I've been using Valvoline semi-synthetic power steering fluid since the Mustang rack and pinion days. ATF kills many rack and pinion steering seals.

You also forgot to mention to plug the reservoir return nipple too (voice of experience as I saw my fluid going on the floor first time...).
I'm surprised you didn't use Amsoil ATF.
I've used it on my last couple vehicles with no issues.

You also forgot to mention to plug the reservoir return nipple too (voice of experience as I saw my fluid going on the floor first time...).
I'm surprised you didn't use Amsoil ATF.
I've used it on my last couple vehicles with no issues.

The hose was plugged.

I do not want touse ATF and I wanted a full synthetic PS fluid is the reason.

Al you see what I mean, it goes over people's heads that a power steering pump might be better off with power steering fluid. Regards,

Al you see what I mean, it goes over people's heads that a power steering pump might be better off with power steering fluid. Regards,

Amazing, but true.

Maybe they are the same that feel dino oil is as good as synthetic.

power stering fluid and ATF are the same (mercon)

feiigz.jpg

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec1998.htm

There is my point, way too many people are ruled by books. If it is written in a book, absolutely every other view must be wrong. Too much effort is wasted defending a book. Use some common sense more often, stop relying on a book.

no i dont think you should allways go by the book. do you guys think its really worth the extra $3 a quart when the manufacturer say to use mercon ATF i mean with this application their the same thing

no i dont think you should allways go by the book. do you guys think its really worth the extra $3 a quart when the manufacturer say to use mercon ATF i mean with this application their the same thing

Yes.

My Ford owners manual states to use Mercron ATF.
Your transmission is basically a hydraulic pump, as is your power steering unit...
Is it wrong to use what the factory calls out? I think not...
Is it better to use something that is called "power steering fluid"?
That is ones opinion...

I would say that Mercon/MerconV is a bit better fluid for power steering because of the additives it has over regular power steering fluid. But yes, ATF can be used in the power steering system.

As daves97sport points out, the whole power steering system is just a glorified hydraulic system, like an automatic transmission is too.
Most industrial hydraulic systems in fact require ATF -- Monarch Hydraulics for example.

It isn't about the pump, it is all about the rack and pinion unit. The early models all were susceptible to seal damage by ATF. Ford never recalled or paid for any of the damage, they have always recommended ATF for the PS system. It is a known fact that ATF will cause the rack and pinion units to begin leaking in the Fox chassis cars. The seals go, and when they go they leak a bunch, they go out fast. It didn't begin for many many years after they were sold, but it happens.

I take that as a clear sign that the OEM does not often acknowledge their mistakes. In fact they do their very best to ignore or deny problems that they should be responsible for. I believe I will be much safer in using power steering fluid in all power steering systems.

I would say that Mercon/MerconV is a bit better fluid for power steering because of the additives it has over regular power steering fluid....

Power steering fluid is made for pwer steering systems. All ATF is made for automatic transmissions. It is much more likely that quality power steering fluid is better than any ATF for the PS system. Regards,

Hahahah, getting Ford OR GM, in my experience, to admit engineering f-up's is like pulling teeth. It's absolutely ridiculous that we have to fork out hard-earned cash for problems they are well-aware of. When you approach them with their well-known problem, they deny that "that" problem exists, which, in 99.0% of the time, is a flat-out LIE. I used to work at a Ford dealer. I'm still a Ford Fanatic, though! They DO build THE best truck on the market, hands down.

Al our friends at Amsoil think their ATF is fine for your explorers PS pump.

I have heard that the synthetic PS fluid and synthetic ATF fluids are the same.

--Joe

Attachments

• amsoil.jpg
    amsoil.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 11,667

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use whatever Ford recommends. I believe that is Mercon. I would think that all issues with degrading seals have been resolved.

Back