Power Steering HELP!!!

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Not sure if this timeline is considered CRISIS but oh well. The vehicle needs to be going Sat. morning and I've got all day tomorrow to do it...

The problem, virtually impossible to steer away from center but returns to center effortlessly. It also does have power steering when going straight from about 10 o-clock to 2 o-clock. That's all the sweep of the wheel I have untill I have to seriously use EVERYTHING I've got in my arms to turn it while moving. Sitting still the tires won't budge. I replaced the power steering pump with a re-man about 500 miles ago/2 months so I guess it could be a bad rebuild? When I'm FORCING it to turn it's not smooth, kinda grindy feel but that "could" be from the 33" tires and whatever is broke...

Is this the power steering or could it be the steering box? Does my explination make sense? Right now I'm starting with the pump cause I've done it before unless you guys tell me that it could be the box...

Thanks,
Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Khris--- Are you still full with PS fluid? If not, you may want to check all the lines. I had one rot out on me and bust---so, I had no fluid, pressure, or steering---but the pump was still good. Check for a major leak in one of your lines. Hope that helps.

Sounds like the rack going bad. Try some Lucas Rack Conditioner. Use a turker baseter to suck out the fluid and replace with the Lucas. It might help for awhile, but it sounds like a rack is in your future.

It's the 1st gen exploder so it's got a steering box, not a rack... Well, I'm going out to work on it right now. I'm gonna start by throughing the whole front end in the air to get the weight off it and see if it turns in just the acc. position without the motor running. I'd think if it does that then it wouldn't be the box. Any ideas? I'll come check this in an hour or two...

Sorry about that..I missed the year.
Seems I remember someone talking about the ability to tighten & loosen the steering box.
Search "steering box" and it should be there.

like you said, if you jack it up and it turns ok then its the pump. although, the only time i had a pump fail like that it was whining and groaning really loud.

Back