power window relay trouble

scattermaster

Reaction score
City, State
HOUSTON,TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 EXPLORER
Help!
My drivers side front window will SOMETIMES go down and wont go back up.
I fiddled with the wiring inside and there is a little black box that seems to be involved. It seems like a relay of some kind.
It's mounted on a clip inside the plastic door panel.
It has a flat plug with 5 pins
There is a ford part number on the case but it's hard to read.
something like:
F20B-14B113-AB
I've searched Google and been to auto parts stores and coming up empty.
Sound familiar?
TIA,
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The black box is the on touch down module. It could be bad. I'd start with your switchs and go from there.

quick sure fire way to test if its the one touch module, is jam a 25 amp ATC fuse into the 2 larger blade holes. This will bypass the module, and make your windows act like the one touch option was not installed. I've ran my 94 limited for almost 10 years like this. The cause of the problem if it is the module, is failing solder joints inside the module. If you want/need one touch and find a faulty module, A module from any 87-94 ford will fit right in.

I just tracked my problem down to the same module. The correct Part Number is F2DB 14B118 AB (Mine is a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT) which is a little different than the number posted at the start if this thread. I'm praying the 25 amp fuse hack works, asking price for the module is between $20 to $60 and I don't really need a one touch auto-down module, I JUST NEED AIR FLOW! Spent nearly 5 hours on the road yesterday in near 100 degree heat with NO AIR CIRCULATION... my air conditioner is dead, didn't work when I bought the truck and not worth replacing as long as I can get air to breathe! Heading out to get the fuse will post when I get back if it works!

Used the advice of nexis above, sticking the 25 amp fuse across the two inputs of the relay plug and worked A-OK the first time I tried it. Not that big of an investment and it would probably work by simply cutting those two wires and splicing together directly, rather than using a fuse. Since I already used the fuse I'll just use it in the circuit and at least NOW my window goes UP & DOWN!!!

Thanks nexis.

Don't mean to break the thread, but just a quick comment to Juno, which he may already be aware of... The 1994 Ex's used R134a in the A/C unit instead of the banned R12, so it may not be that big a deal to get it working. My '94 Limited needed a new compressor, filter/drier, orifice valve, and evaporator and (not including the vacuum pump that I already had) it cost less than $200 to rebuild last fall. It took most of a day to do because of having to replace the evaporator and do a complete flush, but otherwise not that big a deal.

I'll look into it larrydd999. I'm one of those guys who likes buying used vehicles cheap, then keeping them running as long as possible rather than investing a lot of money for repairs etc. This fall will be year 4 of owning this vehicle which I purchased for $800 from a private owner. So far the only thing other than oil changes I've done is replaced the auto locking hubs up front with manual hubs, which was only about a $150 investment and a little time. Getting 4 years of use out of a vehicle for $200 a year so far is a lot cheaper than car payments of any type.

Help!
My drivers side front window will SOMETIMES go down and wont go back up.
I fiddled with the wiring inside and there is a little black box that seems to be involved. It seems like a relay of some kind.
It's mounted on a clip inside the plastic door panel.
It has a flat plug with 5 pins
There is a ford part number on the case but it's hard to read.
something like:
F20B-14B113-AB
I've searched Google and been to auto parts stores and coming up empty.
Sound familiar?
TIA,
Jim
If this is a 1993 Explorer, the part number is F2DZ-14B118A. (You were close!) It's about $80-85 new from national online Ford parts suppliers. (AutoNation, Quirk for instance.) (I just ordered one.) Here are some links:

F2DZ-14B118-A F2DZ14B118A - Ford Parts Giant

Control F2DZ-14B118-A | TascaParts.com

F2DZ14B118A - Ford Control | Lakeland Ford Online Parts, Lakeland FL

Control F2DZ-14B118-A | QuirkParts

Ford F2DZ-14B118-A Control

Back