• Register Today It's free!

Power windows don't work.

99ExplorerRed

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
Ok, this is my first post on here so go easy on me lol! I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT. The lift gate latch was slipping when I went to open it. So I thought I would take the trim off and take a look. I found that the latch was slipping and not pulling on the rods to the latches on either side. Put that one aside, I decided to take off the driver’s side and rear drivers side trim off cause I m having problems with those locks too. Now, none of my window controls will not work. I checked the 30 amp maxi fuse under the hood, the battery saver #26 in the fuse panel, there all fine. The switch light's up when the lights are turned on, but I cannot get any of the window switches to work. I did not mess with any wiring while removing the trim panels.

Windows Work Now!

Ok, so I figured it out! With the help of the this thread (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193675). It was discussed in this thread that the control module on the door for the power windows gets power on a blue with a black stripped wire. First since my windows were stuck down i ran a piece of 20g wire from the positive terminal on the battery to that wire on the module. Hit the button, the windows came up! So that eliminated the module as a suspect for the problem. So I located the wire on the module and traced it back through the door. Right where the rubber boot in the door jam, just below the top hinge was the break. So i soldered a piece of wire on both ends, wrapped up each end and then to the wire, and put it all back together. Now on work on my lock problems. Tailgate latch slips, drivers side door will not unlock en less i press the 6th combo button and pull up on the handle at the same time, and rear drivers side door will not release inside the car. Fun Fun. But i still love my baby!

Back