• Register Today It's free!

Preventative maintenance list?

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey new member here and I was looking for some insight on some preventive maintenance items/parts I should change. It's a 1997 ford Mercury Mountaineer with 228,600+ miles. These are some items/parts I've changed not all where preventive maintainace like the AC system.
Spark plugs and wires
Thermostat
Tires
AC system
Coolant
Oil and filter
Throttle position sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Added leaf spring helpers
Changed spare tire
Air filter
Wiper blades
Transmission oil
Sway bar links and bushings.
That's about all that I've done and am about to change brake fluid and I'm thinking about changing the shocks the person that owned it before me put the cheapest shocks they can buy and I feel like the vehicle is really low but I'm not sure if that's the normal ride height any suggestions on some good shocks I don't do off-roading but the roads here are pretty bumpy I mostly drive on highways. I am also going to change the coolant hoses and heater hoses so any other things I should change before it fails that would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Differential fluids, transfer case if 4wd/awd. They can be prone to power steering whine and shudder which can usually be helped by sucking the reservoir dry with an oil pump or turkey baster. Differing opinions on quality power steering fluid vs the Mercon v. I've used both wire no issues.

Differential fluids, transfer case if 4wd/awd. They can be prone to power steering whine and shudder which can usually be helped by sucking the reservoir dry with an oil pump or turkey baster. Differing opinions on quality power steering fluid vs the Mercon v. I've used both wire no issues.

Could you explain the steering wine and shudder more I have that issue and some more info would be great thanks

Fords of this generation tend to have noisy pumps. Sometimes it seems the old, worn fluid makes this problem worse. I've quieted a pump that whined when the wheels where turned at a standstill with a fluid swap. I sucked the entire reservoir dry with a turkey baster. I added a quality Mercon V atf until full. I drove for a week, and repeated. This allows the new fluid to flush through the pump and rack. I did this several times to replace the majority of the fluid, and it made my pump noticeably quieter. ATF is cheap and it's easy enough for anyone to do, so it's worth a try.

And, also, welcome to the site!

I just put on KYB Gas-A-Justs about a year ago. Firmed up my ride slightly, but not anything close to stiff. Handles washboard country dirt roads well.

IMO, these are not a performance shock to handle carving corners. I consider them a good alternative to OEM, and "think" this is how the OEM shocks rode when new :dunno:

After a year, still happy with them :thumbsup:

V8?

Along with ALL the fluids, a set of remaned injectors, new upstream o2s and a can of mass air meter cleaner would make a big difference. Less than $200 total if you shopped on ebay. (get motorcraft o2's).

I put new injectors in my rig at 80,000 miles and it made a big difference in off idle/tip in throttle response. Cleaners-in-a-bottle will never clean injectors as well as taking them apart and having them sonic cleaned and internal filters replaced and flowed to confirm results.

Oh, and don't forget the fuel filter.

Fords of this generation tend to have noisy pumps. Sometimes it seems the old, worn fluid makes this problem worse. I've quieted a pump that whined when the wheels where turned at a standstill with a fluid swap. I sucked the entire reservoir dry with a turkey baster. I added a quality Mercon V atf until full. I drove for a week, and repeated. This allows the new fluid to flush through the pump and rack. I did this several times to replace the majority of the fluid, and it made my pump noticeably quieter. ATF is cheap and it's easy enough for anyone to do, so it's worth a try.
How has that fluid change held up? I saw your reply was in 2017. Any pump or rack issues or leaks?

I’ve never had any issues with a noisy pump on my current Mounty. (The dealer I bought the car from changed all the fluids, including the power steering)

On my previous Mounty I changed it twice without issue. It had the factory rack and pump at over 210k.

It’s not like a transmission, where after too long a fluid change can be a bad thing.

I’ve never had any issues with a noisy pump on my current Mounty. (The dealer I bought the car from changed all the fluids, including the power steering)

On my previous Mounty I changed it twice without issue. It had the factory rack and pump at over 210k.

It’s not like a transmission, where after too long a fluid change can be a bad thing.
Ok, good deal. Mine has about 192,000 on it thus far. Not thrilled with having AWD. I read on forums a year or so back that some fellas have switched AWD to 4X4 using an f150 transfer case. I would look further into that if I fall into an assload of money at some point. Then all the fancy 4X4 extras would happen.

The AWD isn’t that bad. If you can drive, and your limited slip is still tight they can handle quite a bit. I plowed with mine for years with excellent results.

A BW4406 swap shouldn’t cost more than $750 on the high end.

Back