Probably a crazy idea, 2016+ center console on a 2011-2015? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Probably a crazy idea, 2016+ center console on a 2011-2015?

Rainlord

Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
I was looking around for cup holder inserts (clamps) as the 2012 don't have them and I find them oddly useful. Eventually google took me into the "parts" territory as I wondered what the 2016+ models had in them - that perhaps I could just buy their cup holders and pop them in. However, they changed them to have a connector in the middle so that idea is out, however, the more I looked at the center consoles, the more they seem exactly the same except "M" is "S", I even like the black trim better than the silver on the old one.

So, the crazy question of the day is, would a 2016+ center console fit into a 2011-2015 model Explorer? Here's the "parts" pictures of each, they seem awfully similar in shape and size and possibly the connector(s) (this is the hardest part to tell from pictures though). If the connectors are the same, I figure the "features" of the console are probably exactly the same too. I read that the newer model has illuminated cup holders (optional?) - which I wouldn't care if that worked or not.

2016+ center console top
s-l1600.jpg

2011+ center console top
s-l1600.jpg

2011-2015 center console bottom:
s-l1600.jpg

2016+ center console bottom:
s-l1600.jpg

For more pictures, here's an Ebay listing for a 2011-2015 and here's one for 2016+

It's "only" a $165 test to see if it works, but I'd rather hear some input before I do some impulse purchase :)

If you check out either the Levittown or Autonation parts sites you'll find that when you look up console you will see that the "Finish Panel" is only for 2016 - 17 models.
If you look at the same item for a 2012 XLT you will see it says it will fit 2011 - 14 models. The parts numbers are essentially the same with some 'letter' differences. There are also a few of these items listed for both years.
As for the illuminated cup holders, that is part of the Ambient Light option package.

Peter

If you check out either the Levittown or Autonation parts sites you'll find that when you look up console you will see that the "Finish Panel" is only for 2016 - 17 models.
If you look at the same item for a 2012 XLT you will see it says it will fit 2011 - 14 models. The parts numbers are essentially the same with some 'letter' differences. There are also a few of these items listed for both years.
As for the illuminated cup holders, that is part of the Ambient Light option package.

Peter

The 'finish panel' is actually a number of things, including the little rubber circles in the bottom of the cup holders.

The 'finish panel' is actually a number of things, including the little rubber circles in the bottom of the cup holders.
Yes it is and I also forgot that it does not include the little flip door with SYNC on it.

Back