• Register Today It's free!

Problem after problem

Supercracker

Reaction score
City, State
Nor cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 exploder
So i went out and bought a parts truck (95 explorer) for $250 knowing it had a bad trans. Didnt care just needed the motor. Sp brought it home yanked it out and cleaned it up. Yesterday i pulled apart my (barely) running 96. Eventually got it out and stuffed the 95 motor in there. Heres where it gets f@cked. Broke the cam sensor on install. Then it appears that its diffsrent from mine. Changed harness and a few sensors, but it doesnt plug into the computer!!!!! Parts store says 95 and 96 are the same (but clearly arent) how do i get my truck back to running? Can i run the 96 harness and splice the 95 cam sensor plug on there? Both have 3 wires and are the same color. But If not what option do i have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should be the same plug, and sensor. Go for it.

I havent removed the sensor from the (95) new motor. But the 96 sensor does not plug into the 95 harness. I think more or less my question is can i even use the 96 camshaft position sensor? Ive seen a lot of back and forth on a lot of threads but no definitive answer

I looked up both years and they take the same sensors.
Maybe someone changed one of them from another year ?:dunno:

So then i have a mystery motor somewhere? Is there a number on the block to identify what year it is?

Did you see it run before you bought it if so I would just spice in the plug that fits.Solder it if you can.

Someone may chime in and let you know where the block #s are and what year it is.

Yes it ran. Drove it on the trailer and even did some burn outs in my buddys shop before i pulled it out.....you know just to make sure she was a runner lol but the plastic piece of the sensor itself is broken but still held on some how by the pins. Would it be safe to silicone it together then splice the harness? Really can't afford anpther $50 toward this pile/fine automobile

I'm not sure what your asking? Thought you were just going to switch the plug that go to the sensor?

I jave to use the 96 harness. Im not sure that i can use the 96 sensor im leaning toward throwing some jb weld or silicone on the broken sensor and splicing the harness to fit the 95 plug. From what ive read they have to be timed perfectly and have a special tool to do it. Not sure im up for the job or qualified

Which sensor did you break the 96 sensor?

So can't you take the 95 sensor off two screws 5.5mm and put in the 96 sensor it should fit.

So take off the two sensors and compare them, on the bench, and everything underneath them. Memory says 95 and 96s both used distributor replacements on the V6 and V8 trucks, it's likely just a matter of swapping the sensor from your old motor, to the new motor, take them off, and compare both the sensor, the metal tab inside of them. A visual inspection of the two should yield a quick answer.

check your build dates on the vehicles, you may have a late build 96 that they may have raided the parts bins early... have seen this several times when I was turning wrenches...

Compared them last night and the base of the 95 is much different from the 96. Looking at youtube theres some videos that make it look easy to swap the base and sensor so i may just buy the tool and try to install the whole 96 unit into the 95 motor

That's what I'd do, that should be an issue free swap when done right.

Back