Project Lazyboy SAS... | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Lazyboy SAS...

So just bought the wife a new 2012 F150 FX4 Ecoboost she told me I can have the Lincoln Aviator and do whatever I want with it. So I am going to SAS this beast. Already started collecting parts. This time I am going full widths.

Here is pic of the bosses new truck...
20120805_095252.jpg

Project Lazyboy 2003 Lincoln Aviator 4.6 DOHC 5 speed auto AWD.
20120422_174132.jpg

Plans for the truck
3/4 ton Chevy leafs rear.
Ford 9.75 5.13 Detroit
F150 High pinion Dana 44 5.13 electric locker
Custom long arm set up with coilovers
Electric shift BW1356 (should fit since the frame is wider and gas tank is on the pass side).

I should be starting the build in the next couple months. We are getting ready to move so I may not start until mid/late Fall. Stay tuned....:D

Oh and if anyone wants some upgrade parts for there Explorer or Mountaineer the Lincoln used Aluminum front control arms and I think a few other things like bigger brakes all that stuff will be for sale. Also the Aviator has 4.30 gears in it now those axles will be up for grabs when the time comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WTH.... A 44 under the front of a Lincoln.... :D

20130123_170333.jpg

20130123_170304.jpg

20130123_170251.jpg

Just using the factory struts for now until I decide on Coilovers or Coils not sure yet. Left the mounts high. But I have a feeling I am going to have to lower the front about 1.5" Have to see what happens when I get weight on it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

:popcorn:

What sort of link setup are you going to be running up front?
Just Y link radius arm style like the Merc and Double R.
Also what are you planning on doing with your steering? Flat top knuckle or??? Just curious as this is whats holding up progress on mine :(

Just doing cross over with heim joints. Leaving the F150 knuckles. This is a Mall Crawler so it won't see too much trail use. LOL

Yeah I figured it would get me by for now. Super Duty NP271 or 273 will fit. Going to have to move the exhaust. Think I going do a rear gas tank it will free up a ton of space and give me all kinds of room to play. Probably see if Bronco tank will work.

Just doing cross over with heim joints. Leaving the F150 knuckles. This is a Mall Crawler so it won't see too much trail use. LOL

What setup would you suggest if it was going to be more of a trail truck and less of a dd since you've done several swaps?

What setup would you suggest if it was going to be more of a trail truck and less of a dd since you've done several swaps?

I wheel the Merc and Double R and both have cross over steering. You can always upgrade later to a high steer. It looks cool and makes it safer for your steering. But the cost is kinda high. Boils down to your budget.

I have to go crossover anyway because of SOA in the front and thats really the only way to clear my steering. I guess I cant decide between getting a flat top knuckle or heim joints to connect to the hub assembly. Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread. Back to the project!

One question why not keep the rack and pinion? Is there a fatal down flaw in running one?

You'd have to mount the rack to the axle, and use a "slip spline joint" like a driveshaft uses to drive the rack. It would be dangerous, and weak.

You'd have to mount the rack to the axle, and use a "slip spline joint" like a driveshaft uses to drive the rack. It would be dangerous, and weak.

Yep super dangerous on the highway. That is why they make hydro with an orbital valve to make the ram work. But they are illegal for the highway cause if the engine dies you loose all steering...

Yep super dangerous on the highway. That is why they make hydro with an orbital valve to make the ram work. But they are illegal for the highway cause if the engine dies you loose all steering...

Funny you mention that

4wheel and off road magazine has an annual "Road Trip" of highway driving mixed with off road adventures.

"Ultimate Adventure"

The Magazines own rules sate the truck must be driven and road legal, however, the rig they built was an eoboost f150 with full hydro steering. First stop was right here in Kansas, after an overnight stay in Nevada , Mo. They did drive it on black top highways.

How did they not get a lot of flack for doing this??

Oh man, bad hijack--nevermind--

Funny you mention that

4wheel and off road magazine has an annual "Road Trip" of highway driving mixed with off road adventures.

"Ultimate Adventure"

The Magazines own rules sate the truck must be driven and road legal, however, the rig they built was an eoboost f150 with full hydro steering. First stop was right here in Kansas, after an overnight stay in Nevada , Mo. They did drive it on black top highways.

How did they not get a lot of flack for doing this??

Oh man, bad hijack--nevermind--

Lol yeah I know people who drive there full hydros around on the street. There is no way I would want be in one rolling down the road.

Got the upper link in so I could throw the tires one and see how she sits.

20130126_162325.jpg

Look Ma!!!! No jack stands!!!!
20130126_152241.jpg

20130126_152124.jpg

Back is about 1/4" higher then front so I got it almost perfect first try. Truck is massive!
20130126_151837.jpg

Can't wait be able to drive this beast!!!

Still need track bar, steering, steering box, and brakes hooked up. After that I can test drive it.

Thanks not bad for just few days of working on it part time this week. I have a steering box somewhere in my stuff so I am going to see if I can find it and start working on mounting it maybe tomorrow. I had customers here most of the day so I didn't get as much done as I wanted. Worked on it maybe hour and half all day.

Back