Project: Paxton Charged 4.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: Paxton Charged 4.0

Okay so as many know, I've been planning on some type of boost for my truck for awhile. I went through a couple turbo options, but when it came down to it.. the paxton kit (i knew a place to get a brand new one) just made the most sense in terms of easy to setup, time, and reliability. This truck gets driven every day (although in the winter it'll be my b2 going out) so i wanted something i knew would not over boost or fail in a major way.

Motor this is going on is a built 4.0, 98TM heads p&p stage 3 on a 94 bottom end (result is 10:1 compression), with the 422 cam and some intake work, full exhaust.

Parts getting added.. the blower of course, some 42lb injectors, and a lightning maf. I've got a tune from when i had the n/a motor dyno'd, basically pulling some timing and dropping the a/f to 11.5 ish.

anyways.. i started on a few preliminary items yesterday.. battery is now in the bed and the blower test fitted.. ill need to get some lines made so that i can relocate the abs unit up towards the front of the battery tray (you'll see it's def in the way)..

on to the pics!

91c72adc.jpg

3ed72b4a.jpg

3bc8ce2b.jpg

9dc0b322.jpg

339fa1a0.jpg

as you can tell.. the dang abs pump thingy is in the way! but anyways.. ill just get some lines made and move the pump to the front of the battery tray.. as you can see in the picture there is a ton of room up there now

p.s.... i can't remember if i put up an ad for the nitrous or volant intake over here.. but i will soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad ass. I saw this on r/f the other day. Is it a lot faster?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yes it pulls a lot harder

That's sick. I didn't think 5psi would make too much of a difference

Okay thats the big difference...lucky you I kinda have strict emissions here in colorado and can't get tunes done like you damn......but I would if I could.....

Yeah I can Pretty much to whatever and not have issues with emissions... I don't have egr or cats on it

wow man...just that your hp readings was the same as mine and you didn't even have a supercharger at the time. In order to pass emissions here we had to do a program where I only got 191rwhp, this was before the water methanol setup and I do have cats and muffler on my setup!

So how many HP do you think you have now? just wondering what an all out power tune would get me about at this point???

I'm thinking it's Gunna make 240rwhp on gas and 250rwhp on e85.. We'll see :)

I know with the few extra things I've done since the tune I'm at 200-210hp now....

I think my stage 3 heads and 10:1 compression is Gunna do the trick to get me to the 250 area, ESP with e85 because I'll be able to run some more timing

Yup, looking at this, I wish I'd have shaved my new heads and had them Port and Polished. Then I could have gone with the 422 cam. Nice setup, for sure. Congratulations.

Luv the Supercharger. Thanks for keeping up updaee on this.

Thanks guys! Power numbers will come on the 18th

I contacted your tuner man, I might send my chip in to get several slightly altered tunes. And also checked my compression is 10:1 as well. I'm gonna stay with the 30lbs injectors but with 8psi I hope things go as inspected. Did you get any port work done on your intake at all?

yes my intakes have been ported.. are you sure you are 10:1 compression? the 95TM heads shouldn't have a smaller combustion chamber than the ones from your 92, but i could be wrong

yes my intakes have been ported.. are you sure you are 10:1 compression? the 95TM heads shouldn't have a smaller combustion chamber than the ones from your 92, but i could be wrong

Yea they do and technically you both are still in the 9s around 9.8:1 ;)

How much timing you running with that 8psi? That thing should be making way more power

I do have the max amount of port work The 98 heads can take and I've got a 3 angle valve job.

You an auto or Manual?

Nice wORK!

From what I gathered over the years the only difference between the 95tm's and the 98tm's are that 98's have smaller exhaust ports because of some fast burn chamber idea, so they require alot more port work than 95tms obviously. I as well have a 3 angle valve job done to my heads. So we are very much the same..you'll just have bigger injectors like I said before.

My explorer is a 5-speed manual.

And I don't know much about tuning and the other thing is that everybody says my HP numbers are gonna be lower assumed due to my altitude being in denver colorado a mile higher that sea level and asking me about timing I really just left that up to the local tuner and honestly I have data sheets on the dynotune but I don't know how to read it or what I'm reading. But like I said before my biggest worries before was to past emissions here in colorado where alot of you forced induction guys on this forum aren't concerned. The recent programmer would only do two programs cause he felt they were the only ways to go safe with one just for emissions and the other just for reliable daily driving but it did piss me off cause I told him my chip holds up to 5 programs but they were being stubborn with it making it sound like I was going to blow up my engine. I must add they also had me ditch the iridium spark plugs I had and had me install some I believe autolite copper plugs.

Also yes 8psi is what I'm blowing back in april I bought a brand new paxton SN2000 unit that blows 7-8psi stock pulley. Yes I'll admit when I got the explorer back from the dynotune I was a bit dissapointed but then I must remember these are V6's we are driving here......

The port work ive got done to my heads def make a huge different then... And yeah uve got some mass to turn with those tonka rims on there.

do you run headers? I got ex dynoed with these tires and rims because its the look I want anyways and I thought it might assist with the accuracy of tuning.

Back