Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump

..Running Royal Purple here and it's as purdy as the day I put it in..:dunno:

..It could be to "Suped-up" for the hose size and volume?...Meaning it is to fast to force the fluid thru the small diameter hose...:scratch:

..If that is the case, maybe the Royal Purple is doing it's job and lasting under the extreme condition the "Suped-Up" AGR pump is creating..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Running Royal Purple here and it's as purdy as the day I put it in..:dunno:

..It could be to "Suped-up" for the hose size and volume?...Meaning it is to fast to force the fluid thru the small diameter hose...:scratch:

..If that is the case, maybe the Royal Purple is doing it's job and lasting under the extreme condition the "Suped-Up" AGR pump is creating..

I do know that AGR suggested Royal Purple; and I also know that I've used nothing else on my AGR pump since installation... but I've encountered all the same problems and been debating some similar solutions as Albino. So maybe you just got really lucky with your pump, Tbars?

I picked up a 6" section of 2.25" ID radiator hose to slide over the reservoir neck and extend it. I'm going to pick up some Lube Guard in a little while and install both.

We'll see if they make a difference. :cool:

Success,,,,,maybe

So far so good. I added about a 3" piece of 2.25"ID radiator hose to the top of the reservoir neck and added a couple inches of PS fluid. I plugged the hose with the postage bottle for my Blackstone Labs oil sample.

Drove it on the freeway for about 10 miles this afternoon, then surface streets on the way home and it was as quiet when I got back as it was when I left.

This might be the trick. If it continues to keep the pump quiet, I will look for a more elegant solution that will allow use of the original cap. This might mean cutting the neck and placing the hose section in the middle.

I like $5 fixes :cool:

..Post some pics dangit...

...I just drove the X to another county and back today and there is nothing more embarrassing than pulling in to a filling station and everyone look at you cause your trucks whining...:(

Busted, Plausible or Confirmed??

In the words of Adam Savage;
Confirmed! :thumbsup::D

Just drove 35 miles on the freeway then 2 on residential streets back to the house and all is quiet as a church mouse.

When things cool down a little, I'll look at cutting the tube and putting the hose piece in the middle so I can use the OEM cap.

I know this ain't pretty but it was just a test and I will probably flush the entire system after extending the tube.

Attachments

• SAM_1366-1.jpg
    SAM_1366-1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 522
  • SAM_1367-1.jpg
    SAM_1367-1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 529

..What did you actually achieve with just adding the hose?

...:scratch:...So this allowed you to add a bit more fluid to help quit the aeration too?

So this allowed you to add a bit more fluid to help quit the aeration?

Yep. :thumbsup:

I'm a happy camper now.:D

Pull your cap while the engine is running and watch how vigorously the fluid is coming in from the return port.

I'll try to get a quick video with the extension and extra fluid, tomorrow.

Interesting results but I think you'll have to go on another long snow wheeling trip to test this out. The reason I say that is because adding a section of hose only increases the reservoir level but fluid aeration in a hydraulic system typically doesnt occur at the reservoir but rather at the pump when the fluid is being pressurized (typically very close to the vanes themselves). The reason why aeration typically doesnt occur at the reservoir is because fluid pressure here is typically very small.

Double confirmed

Interesting results but I think you'll have to go on another long snow wheeling trip to test this out. The reason I say that is because adding a section of hose only increases the reservoir level but fluid aeration in a hydraulic system typically doesnt occur at the reservoir but rather at the pump when the fluid is being pressurized (typically very close to the vanes themselves). The reason why aeration typically doesnt occur at the reservoir is because fluid pressure here is typically very small.

The fluid was 'splashing' in the reservoir neck and air was getting sucked into the pump. Longer neck, no splash.

A brief snow run today(2-3hrs) and,,,,,,silence!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: all the way back home.

Ted I hope you try this, I really want to know if it works for you too.

..Crop...You get me all excited when I'm miles away from home...

...I'm waiting for you to get it perfected and then I will capitalize on it..:p:

Next?

I'm done, you're next.

Attachments

• SAM_1379-1.jpg
    SAM_1379-1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 506

Looks good. I hope to get around to this by the weekend; we'll see how it goes.

Confirmed x2!!!

Did this on the 20th, no aux cooler or additional bleeding, and it worked like a charm! All I did to add the hose was stuff a couple shop rags down the neck of the pump to prevent burrs from getting in there, and sawed that thing in half. I like overkill, so I picked a hose that had a separate internal spring to help with shape and integrity. Since then, no noise, no excess heat, and no hesitation on pushing my new MT's around!

Thanks Albino!

P.S. Pics to come, it's a bit cold out right now.

:thumbsup:

Come on Ted! You're next.

...I'm going to try and get this done when I get home and before I leave for "King of the Hammers"..

...It would be nice to get out there and not be embarrassed by a whining steering pump..I've got enough stuff to be embarrassed about already..:D

Sounds like fun!

I know what you mean, I just recently had to replace my serpentine belt and both idler pulleys, because that noise combined with the pump virtually guaranteed that everyone in every parking lot would stop and stare at my approach. Needless to say, I am thrilled that my truck no longer sounds like death in motion.

/off topic

What else is there to be embarrassed about with your awesome rig?

..Thanks for the compliment..:D

...My X now has parts on it so old they resemble what should be viewed in Museums compared to all the innovative parts seen at "King of the Hammers"..:(

..But I'm still waiting for the aeration video and pics from the others whom have done this mod..and I will post a pic of my own as soon as I do this myself...:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..But I'm still waiting for the aeration video and pics from the others whom have done this mod...

Are you serious?

Back