Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project X = Power Steering with AGR Pump

...That's not keeping me from doing this, logistics and time constraints are my problem..

..I was just really excited and hoping to finally be able to see a good movie I could relate to with a happy ending...:p:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..OK...need some help with this $5 fix..:(

..AZ and Pepboy's do not carry a 2-1/4 I.D. (only preformed hose for named vehicles) while NAPA does but, it is $18 plus a ft. while I did find one there cheaper but it has a bend in it and is 4-1/2" long for $13 plus..

..I know I should be able to get the clamps for less than $1.50 @..

..OK...need some help with this $5 fix..:(

..AZ and Pepboy's do not carry a 2-1/4 I.D. (only preformed hose for named vehicles) while NAPA does but, it is $18 plus a ft. while I did find one there cheaper but it has a bend in it and is 4-1/2" long for $13 plus..

..I know I should be able to get the clamps for less than $1.50 @..

OK, it was a little more than $5. ;)

I bought 6" of hose at NAPA for $8, they cut it at the counter, but I had the clamps so, with taxes it was less than $10 total. Still pretty cheap?:)

You only need about 4" of hose so if 12" is $18, 4" should be $6???

..Ok...Got'er done on my end..:hammer:

:popcorn::chug::popcorn:

..Well in Cali, most places that sell by the foot means, you buy by the foot, not the inch..:(

..I told them I had $12 bucks to spend on the hose and clamps so make it work on their end..(Would have been $16)..:D

..Seeing they only had 11" of the straight hose I opted for the one with the bend in it...I figured I could actually extend the tube with it while also leveling out the top of the cap...I figured it would be beneficial when doing climbs and descents in the X..;)

..Hose p/n# 8271
0126121548.jpg

0126121548a.jpg

..A couple pics showing it as stock..
0126121559.jpg

0126121632.jpg

..I used the turkey baster and pulled the fluid from the pump, stuffed 2 blue shop paper towels in the tube, then cut it about 1-1/2" below the top and added the bent hose...

...The pictures don't really do it justice but I'm happy with the way it turned out..
0126121654.jpg

0126121655.jpg

Initial Observations

1) My existing Royal purple is worse looking now in appearance than it was before..

2) When initially pulling the old fluid out of the pump (after driving for parts) and putting it in a clear bottle, I myself noticed the "Micro-bubbles)

3) Definitely quieter right off the bat..I immediately noticed the sound difference but, it also stayed the same noise level after a bit of city driving..So far so good..:shifty_ey

4) Although it is a bit quieter it is now about as loud as a new, quiet, stock pump..While it is turning big 'ol 35"s ..

..I'm hoping it will stay like this from now on but I will know in the next couple weeks when I get to test her out good..:D

..If this does indeed fix the problem for good, I might just in fact put one of these pumps in the Ranger..;)

..Thanks Phil (Albino 94LTD) for figuring this out and sharing the fix with us all..:salute:

Wheel it Ted!:thumbsup:

You're welcome. :salute:

Well, here's some pics of mine. (I know, finally) i actually couldn't find ANY 2.25" hose, the best I could do was a preformed 11" piece that was about 2.10" or so. So, with the help of the manager at my neighborhood Carquest (who is an awesome guy) and a torch, we gently convinced the hose that it needed to be a bit more accommodating to non-standard uses. On the plus side, the hose clamps weren't really necessary; but I put em on anyway. And with the preformed bends in the hose, plus the separate inner metal spring for additional integrity, I don't think that it will flex or bend anywhere.

I know that the zip tie is totally unnecessary, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Thanks again!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

..I'll need to change out the Royal Purple in the future..

...Did everyone change their fluid already and if so, have you pulled some fluid out to see if you still are getting the micro-bubbles?

..And..I would really be interested in some test results online somewhere which showed different power steering fluids results..(which included Royal Purple)...:popcorn:

..I'll need to change out the Royal Purple in the future..

...Did everyone change their fluid already and if so, have you pulled some fluid out to see if you still are getting the micro-bubbles?

..And..I would really be interested in some test results online somewhere which showed different power steering fluids results..(which included Royal Purple)...:popcorn:

I have not flushed the system yet so I still have a mix of synthetic fluids including mostly Amsoil.

What kind of test could be done, other than chemical analysis like Blackstone Labs does with oil?

The steering moves easily and the pump is quiet.

I WOULD be interested to see if adding volume to the reservoir neck would help the guy with the 2nd Gen rack & pinion system though.

...A side by side comparison test of the fluids and how they withstand heat and heavy usage would be nice..

..I was re-reading his thread this a.m. and am hoping we are not included with internal parts failures as he was..I do not believe mine went that far as to have any internal parts failure (including seals) but I am sure doing everything the way AGR specified was done but the aeration we have recently concluded surely could not have helped this pump..:(

...This is why I am concerned with putting the best fluid back in the pump one last time and why I am looking for the better fluid to put in these pumps in the long run, that are proven by test, and not promoted by the manufacturer...

...Otherwise, it's back to Royal Purple and I am not actually sold on their worth for the price...:dunno:

Tbars4 said:
...Otherwise, it's back to Royal Purple and I am not actually sold on their worth for the price...:dunno:

I'm with you as far as that is concerned. To me it seems that AGR overbuilt & overdesigned the pump assembly without regard to its fluid consumption requirements... (no proof, just a feeling). To me it does seem that with the additional fluid my pump is nice and happy now, and I'm not really sure if Royal Purple is worth the price, though it is good stuff. I do know that for my next flush I'm going to go with a different premium brand and see if I notice a difference, until then... :shrug:

..Drove the X all over town today and it was 85* out..

..I am happy to say it did stay quiet all day even though the steering pump gets really toasty..

...Can't wait to test her next week on a highway drive...:D

..Ran my truck out at the "King of the Hammers" for the last 4 days...

...Deep thick sand and rocks...All went well and the pump still sounds just as quiet as a stock pump but turning a lot bigger tires...

..:shifty_ey ..When I can afford it it will get new fluid but for now it seems fine with the old nasty Royal Purple still in it..:p:

Awesome! I vote you test out how long that fluid will last. :thumbsup:

..Actually...I'm worried if something already got damaged and I want to change it ASAP..

..But don't fret..It will be a while before I get to it..;)

Oh, and way to go kids! Save the Nintendo first! :salute: LoL!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Just an update while still running the original Royal Purple in it..

..Over the road drive to Moab, wheeled the truck for a week on/offroad, and highway drove the truck back home without a glitch..:biggthump

..I am so glad this got resolved or it would have been a unnecessarily noisy trip but yes, I did try to make it squeal a bit with no luck..:D

Back