PSA for newer PIU owners. Check for water leaks in body. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PSA for newer PIU owners. Check for water leaks in body.

2013PIU

Reaction score
City, State
WALNUT CREEK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
I've owned my 2013 PIU for a few months now and after going through a few car washes with no water leaking inside I thought I was okay. Here in Northern California we just had our first big rain storm and I was greeted with about 2 inches of water on the passenger side floor boards front and rear this morning. Luckily I have the vinyl flooring and it was pretty easy to get under it to vacuum and dry with a towel, but I still cannot find where the water was coming from. Tomorrow I'll be pulling the door panels to check for seal leaks and will silicone all the roof holes that currently have bolts plugging them.

20180109_134554.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When water pools in the regular Explorer it is usually due to the drain tubes being plugged but I believe it is only on those with the moonroof. Not sure if the PIU has them.

Peter

When water pools in the regular Explorer it is usually due to the drain tubes being plugged but I believe it is only on those with the moonroof. Not sure if the PIU has them.

Peter
Thanks, Peter. No moonroof on the PIU unfortunately, but I think it may be the weatherstripping/door design. I do recall quite a bit of water dripping out of the rear door when I opened it. I think this guy demonstrates it pretty well:

If it's just passenger side, could be from fresh air/hvac/firewall area.

Thanks, Peter. No moonroof on the PIU unfortunately, but I think it may be the weatherstripping/door design. I do recall quite a bit of water dripping out of the rear door when I opened it. I think this guy demonstrates it pretty well:
Have you checked to ensure the drain holes are not blocked causing water to backup in the door? If they are clear then perhaps check out the possibility of KayGee's post.

Peter

2017 PIU owner and just had this happen during our first big rainstorm. I hit the brakes to stop at a decline and noticed water come dripping from my forward overhead lights in front of the sunglasses stow away. I figured it may be the windshield seal but then noticed 4 bolts on the roof exterior middle area where the various antennas once were, my guess. But it feels damp around that whole plastic housing area around the forward lights. My guess is that it comes in from the bolts rearward and when I hit the brakes on the decline it comes out, I may be wrong. Anyone have this happen to them?

2017 PIU owner and just had this happen during our first big rainstorm. I hit the brakes to stop at a decline and noticed water come dripping from my forward overhead lights in front of the sunglasses stow away. I figured it may be the windshield seal but then noticed 4 bolts on the roof exterior middle area where the various antennas once were, my guess. But it feels damp around that whole plastic housing area around the forward lights. My guess is that it comes in from the bolts rearward and when I hit the brakes on the decline it comes out, I may be wrong. Anyone have this happen to them?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
This is the first report I recall about this.

Peter

When I pick one of these up I pull the headliner, take it through a car wash and watch. Even if there are no leaks I put silvertape over the holes on the inside to prevent future leaks, then install cover caps over the holes on the exterior.

1702946145537.png

1702945973665.png

When I pick one of these up I pull the headliner, take it through a car wash and watch. Even if there are no leaks I put silvertape over the holes on the inside to prevent future leaks, then install cover caps over the holes on the exterior.

View attachment 448248
View attachment 448247
Looks like I have a project for tomorrow, I appreciate the pics and advice!

Richey: Where do you find hose cap covers? They seem pretty cool looking, and an added measure of protection from the elements.

Richey: Where do you find hose cap covers? They seem pretty cool looking, and an added measure of protection from the elements.

Back