Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

PTU Problems

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by GeoMimi89, December 9, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      VanBC/GoodyearAZ
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer SPORT
      I rented a 17 Traverse at PHX and I was amazed how nicely done they were. Not a huge fan of the exterior styling but Chevrolet has done a good job improving it. The Chevrolet MyLink system is so far ahead of SYNC3 it's embarrassing.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. KurtR

KurtR New Member

City, State:
      Lewisberry
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      Well, now I am "high and dry".
      The dealer will not do anymore work on it unless I shell out cash for their work. They said that because there are no error codes, it is not a warranty issue. This has been goin on for 5 months, 3 different Ford dealers, and I don't know where to turn to next to fix the issue.
      I have never spent so much money on a vehicle or have been treated so terribly. It's frustrating and disappointing. I've always owned Fords. After this one, I don't know what I'll do.

4. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
      MN
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Check out this thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/highway-shudder.460251/

5. KurtR

KurtR New Member

City, State:
      Lewisberry
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      Thank you so much!! That is EXACTLY what i am experiencing - as described in the thread about highway shudder.

6. bkkrause

bkkrause New Member

City, State:
      Colorado
      2011 Explorer XLT 4x4
      I was just in to have my power steering fixed under recall and they mentioned my PTU is leaking. And it would cost over $2000.00 to fix. Does this sound right? Should I get a second opinion? Thx

7. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Ptu is about $700. I believe with labor you are around $1,200.

8. crrobbins

crrobbins New Member

City, State:
      Stanford, Ky
      2013 Explorer XLT
      We had to have PTU replaced a couple months ago. It was leaking and Ford dealer said it had to be replaced. I had noticed the leak myself a couple months before that. Had about 2 months left on aftermarket warranty. After our $100 deductible the warranty paid remainder of $1350. So I think any more than $1500 is too much. The PTU installed is supposed to Ford's updated, better PTU. Good luck.

crrobbins

9. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      2011 Explorer Limited
      Yes, the new PTU is 8x more durable then the original ones.

10. crrobbins

crrobbins New Member

City, State:
      Stanford, Ky
      2013 Explorer XLT
      That is good to know. Plans are to keep ours at least a couple more years. Other than PTU and fuel module recall it has been an excellent vehicle. Love it.

crrobbins

11. aypanthony

aypanthony New Member

2013 Explorer XLT
      After reading the info about the PTU, I took the time to suction and refill with new fluid. The old fluid was nasty. I am hoping it was changed in time to avoid issues. I will probably change it one more time soon to ensure its cleaned out, then change every 20 to 30k intervals. Our Ex is a 2013 XLT with 65k on the odometer. We just bought it used.

12. Joe Gomes

Joe Gomes New Member

City, State:
      Ontario,Canada
      2015 Explorer Limited
      brought my 2015 explorer into Northway Ford for a service/inspection. 3 days later i look under it and the PTU is soaked in oil, i asked why it wasnt addressed or even reported on their check sheet, the service adviser said "hhhmmmm he must have missed it" so book it in to replace the seal, 1500km later and its leaking again they replaced the PTU this time , but didnt secure the lower air duct or wiring around it... Ford Quality. only 28 times in the shop in 54,000KM

13. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
      Sounds like you need to find another dealer.

Peter

14. bluelinebrotha

bluelinebrotha Member

City, State:
      Portland, ME
      2013 Police Interceptor
      Does anyone have the part number for this updated PTU applicable to police vehicles? I have a PI Sedan and utility, the sedan needs a new PTU desperately, and the Utility I'll change just to be safe.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
    15. Robbybad

Robbybad New Member

City, State:
      Los Angeles
      2016 Ford Explorer Sport
      I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport and I heard a couple of knocks here and there, usually when I was in reverse, I chalked it up to older types of 4x4 cars when you turn the wheel hard while backing up it would bind the gears. The next thing I started smelling some sort of liquid dripping on the exhaust and my car crapped out on me. I have 16k miles on it and basically it was the PTU that failed and blew a hole in the side of the unit. Very disappointed because I really love this car, I haven't had a problem with a car for years. It took the dealership from Sunday to today before they got the car up in the air to tell me what the problem was and it's going to be fixed but it looks like it's an issue in other models, there's even a class action lawsuit against ford about this on the same year but different models. I'm hoping it's not going to persist because I love this car, but I hate driving a rental more and don't have time in my days to deal with broken down cars that's why I buy new with the extended warranty. If it happens a couple more times I'm going to go after the lemon law and get myself a Toyota 4 runner because a. the service departments are way more proactive, b. I've had lexus up until this Ford Explorer I wanted more room and an all wheel car, c. Toyota's run for ever, you just have to change the oil and top off the fluids and you'll get a couple hundred thousand miles out of it at least. Might even just look into the Audi SUV's A5 or something, I like this because I don't mind if it get's dinged up but I'm not buying new to have problems with my car constantly.
      http://gotaclassaction.com/15796-2/

16. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      The 'Class Action' does not include the Explorer. The PTU in the Explorer has been updated. It is always possible for any new part to fail. That's one reason they have warranties. It just happens to be upsetting when it's your vehicle that has the failure. According to post #211 the Sport has a water cooled PTU.
      Based on my experience, the only difference in the Ford and Toyota service departments where I've been a customer for 7 and 8 years respectively, is that Ford doesn't serve coffee and pastries, just coffee.:)

Peter

17. KurtR

KurtR New Member

City, State:
      Lewisberry
      2016 Explorer Platinum
      My 2016 Explorer Platinum PTU exploded (literally exploded according to the dealer) while going about 65-70 mph. It also is a cooled unit. This happened on 4/1/17, and it is now nearly 6 months later, and I am still having issues. The car "bucks" or hesitates in 6th gear at low RPMS (around 2000 rpms or less) when it takes on a bit of a load, as in starting up a hill, or pressing slightly on the gas pedal. Not to mention that horrible smell that still lingers, especially on rainy days.
      The dealer told me there is nothing they can do if there is no error code. I had the engine light come on yesterday, grabbed the code (P0157), called the dealer, and then the light went off. They told me again that if there is no active code, there's nothing they can do. It's just so frustrating. 10 repair visits and still dealing with this.

18. whimsey

whimsey New Member

City, State:
      sparta, nj
      2017 XLT
      Kurt, that code should still be stored in the computer's history and the dealer should be able to retrieve it. That code is for post cat efficiency lean bank 2. However this doesn't usually effect drivability. But maybe there are other codes stored just not setting a CEL yet. Good luck.

Whimsey