PTU Problems | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looks like I am most likely going to be footing the entire bill for a new ptu out of pocket. Does anyone know where I can get the best price on a new PTU? Dealer wants around $900 I think...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I am worried about my PTU. I have been getting Advance Trac failure warnings, etc. My powertrain warranty will run out in 2 months and I want to double check my PTU to see if it's okay or if it has sludge.

How do I do that? I have a 2011. Is there a dipstick anywhere I can check?

So I am worried about my PTU. I have been getting Advance Trac failure warnings, etc. My powertrain warranty will run out in 2 months and I want to double check my PTU to see if it's okay or if it has sludge.

How do I do that? I have a 2011. Is there a dipstick anywhere I can check?
As far as I know the PTU is a sealed unit. This is from your Owner's Manual;

"Rear axles and power take-off (PTO) units containing synthetic fluid and light duty trucks equipped with Ford-design axles
are lubricated for life. These fluids are not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected, service is required or the
axle assembly has been submerged in water
."

Peter

Well, my 2012 Ex has 29,000 miles and developed the leak. Took a week to get an appointment and I left the truck for two days. PTU was replaced under the powertrain warranty. Happy that it was not $1,200 out of pocket, but not happy with this truck in the least. It has had a litany of problems develop since I purchased it and sad to say that I will more then likely move on to another company's product in the near future. :mad:

I am new to this forum so thank all of your for your patience if this has been covered. I have a 2014 Ford 4wd explorer, just recently moved to Texas so have a new dealer. After a couple of trips to the dealer with the foul exhaust, propane, death smell odor the service tech found the tsb and parts are on the way to replace the PTU, etc.

However, there is not information on when the parts will arrive or the repair scheduled.

Is this odor toxic or a concern for my family's health? This is the "soccer mom" vehicle and I want my wife and kids safe. We have a couple of days driving ahead at Thanksgiving and want to be safe.

Note to Ford... Make this more public for your dealerships! Mine said that since they didn't see many 4wd/AWD Explorers this wasn't on their radar. They started with a bad battery, then dead animal search, then sniff test (tech and I smelled the car all over while running...). There has to be a better process for these issues! I kept referring to the internet postings until they found the TSB...

I am new to this forum so thank all of your for your patience if this has been covered. I have a 2014 Ford 4wd explorer, just recently moved to Texas so have a new dealer. After a couple of trips to the dealer with the foul exhaust, propane, death smell odor the service tech found the tsb and parts are on the way to replace the PTU, etc.

However, there is not information on when the parts will arrive or the repair scheduled.

Is this odor toxic or a concern for my family's health? This is the "soccer mom" vehicle and I want my wife and kids safe. We have a couple of days driving ahead at Thanksgiving and want to be safe.

Note to Ford... Make this more public for your dealerships! Mine said that since they didn't see many 4wd/AWD Explorers this wasn't on their radar. They started with a bad battery, then dead animal search, then sniff test (tech and I smelled the car all over while running...). There has to be a better process for these issues! I kept referring to the internet postings until they found the TSB...
As mentioned in my PM, I have moved your post to this thread on the same issue. FYI, Ford does not read these threads except for the Ford Service reps here and they don't report back to Ford corporate.

Peter

My car has been fixed yesterday and I've picked it up. They replaced one gasket and two seals and filled up the PTU fluid. I will watch it more closely. Ford customer service manager also called to follow up.

I still have the concern if the problem will come back again after reading complaints from Edge owners for the same issue. Seems this is covered by the powertrain 5yr/60kmils warranty, so we will see.

I got the same problem, Dealer said PTU leaking. How much does it cost?
Thanks

I got the same problem. 2013 awd Ford explorer with 170k, Dealer said PTU leaking. How much does it cost?
Thanks

I got the same problem. 2013 awd Ford explorer with 170k, Dealer said PTU leaking. How much does it cost?
Thanks

Also, can it be only seal/gasket replacement? Not the whole PTU? Dealer told me $1905 today for whole PTU. Is it really $1900 job?

Also, can it be only seal/gasket replacement? Not the whole PTU? Dealer told me $1905 today for whole PTU. Is it really $1900 job?
There are posts in this thread that mention that only the seal/gasket was replaced and was done under power train warranty.

Peter

Thanks

170,000 miles on a 2013?????

As Peter stated, many times it is the seal that goes and not the ptu. I would really question them on it being the ptu. On a side note, having 170,000 miles if that is the case may not be as abnormal all as one going at 30,000 miles. This would be the highest mileage 5th Gen I have heard of if so.

It is a ~$650/- part only. Just make sure it fits your model/configuration & find another dealer or outside repair shop. At 170K miles I wouldn't suggest repairing the leaks as the PTU is already at the end of its life.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281698803682

Your dealer isn't being fair with you, as others have said the gasket replacement is a waste of time given your mileage.

Since the PTU is a known problem you may get some assistance from CS reps here if they contact your local rep.

If not then buy the PTU from the suggested dealership at $588 and get a third party garage to do the install. If the CS reps cant get the local rep to assist with labour.

$1900 is fraud.

Leaking PTU

Hi there, had an oil change on my explorer yesterday. We had a lot of snow here and most roads weren't plowed. Needless to say i didn't notice the sound of my skid plate dragging all the way home. Dealer didn't reinstall it correctly after changing the oil. Kinda a blessing in disguise as my husband noticed a leak toward the back underside of my engine when he crawled under it. Today they told us it was the PTU, said it was small and not to worry about it. I will call tomorrow and schedule an appointment. If this problem has been around since 2011 why hasn't a design fix been implemented? I love my explorer but really want something reliable, hoping its an easy replacement of the seal :) Want to also add that my husband convinced me to get a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on it. Hope I don't need it too often!

Welcome to the forum msjess.:wavey:
I'm not aware of any skid plate that has to be removed for an oil change.
Do you have the OEM tow package? There is an air intake that that is usually removed to change the oil. I think that is perhaps what you are referring to. This intake is part of the tow setup and is used for cooling. agood luck with the PTU issue.

Peter

Thats what it is!

Yes it is the air intake. They just did not put it back on properly. it seems undamaged and is back in place. Now we just have to get the PTU issue taken care of. Thanks for clarifying that.

How prevalent is this PTU leak? Based on the number of posts, it seems popular enough to scare me away from a 4wd Explorer. Looks like the seal is guaranteed to fail prematurely.

I have a front wheel drive XLT and use winter tires from Nov to March; haven't had a single issue with snow.

I was at the dealer talking to a friend who works there and he said that they see the issue a lot; more than they should.

......just asking because we were looking at a 2016 for my wife and are wondering if this nagging issue will be an expensive nightmare too soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How prevalent is this PTU leak? Based on the number of posts, it seems popular enough to scare me away from a 4wd Explorer. Looks like the seal is guaranteed to fail prematurely.

I have a front wheel drive XLT and use winter tires from Nov to March; haven't had a single issue with snow.

I was at the dealer talking to a friend who works there and he said that they see the issue a lot; more than they should.

......just asking because we were looking at a 2016 for my wife and are wondering if this nagging issue will be an expensive nightmare too soon.

Guaranteed to fail?? 85,000 miles on my 2011 without an issue.

With almost 1,000,000 Explorers built (not sure on the mix between 2wd and awd) from 2011 - 2016, I wouldn't let this sway me away from it. How many people out of the 130 posts here are true issues?? A few dozen?

It is a $5xx part if you were out of warranty (far more expensive items on vehicles these days then that) and if you are overly concerned, buy an ESP. They now offer 8yr/150k warrantees.

Back