Pugly | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brad, hold onto those gears for me. I really need to swap em out before I kill the trans, and I really don't want to take it out to Smorr until there swapped.

Big meet going on tomorrow at Smorr, too bad none of us are going.

Thanks for posting the pics too :)

Joe, go ahead and do the hinge pins now. My dr door wont shut all the way on top because of the sag and over time, the door conforms to the B pillar. Now I have a gap to fix after the new pins.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just spent some time with a drill, a 5/8" drill bit, alum tap oil, and my wheels.

I haven't had the correct set of acorns for them, and they wouldn't sit properly. When I had the fronts off to change the plugs, I didn't get them set just right and had a nasty wobble.

Cruised on over to the local aftermarket wheel & tire joint, and they had what I needed for these wheels, but they were 1/16" wider than the lug holes. The lug nuts needed are acorns, but they also have a sleeve on the end that goes around the lugs all the way threw the wheel. So out comes the big ass drill, a 5/8" (freshly sharpened) bit, and a test of my skills, by free handing and squint eye navigating. One slip up and they might have cracked the cast alum wheels.....yikes! 20 holes later, its over and all good :)

I looked all over town at stupid auto parts stores, and they had the Crager mag style lugs, but none were acorns. Live and learn!

Jeez mate! That takes some big cajones. Glad all came out well.:smoke::thumbsup:

Aye Sir, just be careful of which solvent you use when you clean them dirty big balls.

Sea Breeze Burns....

U have some further skillz to free hand drill those wheels! I wouldnt touch that with a 10 Foot Pole! My drilling thru steel skills are beginner at best!!

OK you guys can wave your Schwartz's at each other later

How 'bout some pics of the Destru...I mean Modification?:D

Poor thing had nasty fluids in the T-case :(

New ATF in it now, and I'm sure Pugly is happier for it :)

Still have a mystery leak somewhere on the new(er) radiator. Got me baffled. :(

Moved the 6" off road lights onto a H-bar and closer together centered in front of the grill. Looks a lot better and can aim them better too :)

Needs a new power steering line. The lower line will not tighten any more on the pump and is leaking from being loose. :(
Glad it is easy to get to from the wheel wells with the body lift. :)

Diff fluids next weekend :)

Hmmmm......

MPG has always suffered on this rig, but it runs great, no matter which size tires have been used. So I was getting ready to replace the 02 sensors on it to see if it would help.
I came across this video and am wondering if this is worth doing or not.

damn 15,000 miles...I think mine are stock at 200,000 miles

Went to the Junk Yard today.

Found about 25 Explorers from 1st to 3rd gen. :)

Took my time & spent about 3 hours there looking them all over. Found a 2nd gen Limited with a LSD 4.10 gears. Also found an XLT with open 4.10 gears. Still undecided which rear carrier to use at this point. I know if I get the open, I will want a lunchbox locker in it. The price was a bit steep, but reasonable. Hopefully they will still be there when I go back for one of them.

Found a nice set of matching camel tan leather seats in a '01 sport I might go back for too :)

Anyways.......I scored a perfect set of complete headlight assemblies with clear lenses, A new fan shroud, a new intake tube (mine had ripped), a 98 hood latch for the 95 (billet grill insert makes it a pain with stocker), a mint condition cargo net! A rear cargo panel pocket enclosure, and some clean flexible hard vac lines and boots.

I also figured out my radiator leak. I had the wrong cap on it :rolleyes: I got a good one today too. :)

I know what I'm doing this weekend...Woot!

You've found a goldmine there mate, awesome. Must be like walking around a toyshop!!!

Sounds like some good finds. Nice headlights.

Good score on those bushing's mate, especially seeing as they'll pay for themselves in saving those bloody big boot's on your rig.:thumbsup:

Good score on those bushing's mate, especially seeing as they'll pay for themselves in saving those bloody big boot's on your rig.:thumbsup:

Yeah, a new alignment will be done and they will install em. Bonus for me! :D

Back