Pugly | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the template for my ex right here. sweet truck.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Pugly gets a new face.

Had an old center section of a Bronco brush guard laying around and decided to retrofit it on Pugly this weekend. The mounts on this are the type that simply bolt to the bumper bolts on top and face of a Bronco bumper. The Bronco bumper being taller than the Ex bumper, this worked out in my favor. I made some 1.5" wide brackets out of 4"x 1/4" angle. The top brackets have 1/2"w x 1.75" slots on both sides for adjustments. Bottom brackets are just single holes for straight bolt on to the frame rails. Being that the 1st gen frame rails are open in front (unlike 2nd gens) and the 3" body lift raises the bumper to the top of the rails, this was pretty simple as the bumper stayed on for bolting the lower brackets...:)

The light guards from the old guard on the Black Hole were made to fit on this guard to complete the install.

The lights look so much better on the guard then on the bumper itself.

puglynewbrushguard2.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

The D35 4.10 front diff is being delivered in a week. After I acquire the 2nd gen rear 4.10 complete axle, and find the funds for that, a much needed upgrade mod will happen this summer. :D

Pugly is getting rear disc brakes? I still need the conversion stuff so I can do it on Red. You really need the power stopping here in Houston.

....idiots everywhere who don't know how to drive....
:rolleyes:

Yes sir. These 33" meats need some help with some deeper gears! Can't wait for that swap to happen, then I will once again take Pugly to the trails and have some fun. For street driving, the stock gears are alright, but I think the trans will burn up on the trails as it is now.

Damn mate, when do you get time to eat?

Damn mate, when do you get time to eat?

Always time for that! Ever leave greasy hand prints on your sammich and go...hmmm.....ah screw it! Chomp! :D

I just got the dogbones out of a fairly new set of RS5000 I had "Laying Around" and got a set of replacement bushings. They go on tomorrow. :burnout:

After trying to install the new eyelet bushings and failing I looked on youtube for a how to video. Surprisingly I found one such video. Going to have a try again at it after seeing this.

Hint: use lots of Lube :p: :D

Lube=good. :)

Got distracted working on the other rig, and the rains started b4 I could get to this little project. Just got a call for a couple days of work. Hopefully by the end of the week I can get to it.

Very Nice.

Bugger!!! That suck's worse than a $3.00 hooker mate.

$3???

I can't really go into detail's, let's just say it ain't too good.

Just tried to swap a those Rancho shocks, there too dam long! Grrr. I don't know why I didn't research them better, I just presumed the 1st & 2nd gens used the same length shocks up front as they are the same style mounts.....DOH!!

Well after I removed the dog bones and got new bushings in them. I forgot that the rear mounts are the same & not the front mounts. But still thought the lengths were the same :rolleyes:

Just tried to swap a those Rancho shocks, there too dam long! Grrr. I don't know why I didn't research them better, I just presumed the 1st & 2nd gens used the same length shocks up front as they are the same style mounts.....DOH!!

Anyone want to buy a set of RS5229's with extremely low miles on them? PM me if your interested. :)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAN-RS5229/

Just means you can "give" them to me :p:

PM'd ya.

So now that winter is over and the temp blend lever is over to the cold side, the chemical smell from the A/C is back :(

This chemical smell is nauseating to say the least, I need to remedy this somehow. Do I get the system vacuumed and clean it somehow or just replace with new freon/oil? I think the oil additive is what I am smelling. It seems to come out the vents.

What a trusting Papa !!!

Yep, the boy did all that piloting in those pics. :) He did pretty good his first time out I think. Only had to slap the strap on the rig once, with a little more experience, he could have got past that washout too. Good Times! :D

Back