Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Purchasing used: Should I worry about the internal water pump?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2018 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by MrHarryReems, September 14, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MrHarryReems

MrHarryReems New Member

City, State:
      Volcano, HI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2013 XLT
      Aloha,

I'm currently in the middle of purchasing a 2013 XLT with 41k miles. Should I be concerned about the internal water pump? I know it's a bad design that can lead to destroyed motors, and to be honest, I'm looking to drive the car reliably for at least 10 years. Also, I live on an outer island in Hawaii, which severely complicates parts and repairs.

Cheers!

-Reems

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. kmac59

kmac59 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      2015 Explorer Limited
      Reems... I just looked to see Ford warranty. There is some left for yours on the powertrain. Not sure if water pump causing an engine failure would be covered... Something to look into.

3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      If you're planning on keeping it 10 years or more there are probably other items that could go as well (PTU). If you still have the factory warranty and are really concerned about the water pump, why not take out a Ford ESP? There is a contact, Joel of Two Rivers Ford, that has probably the best pricing around on an ESP.
      http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/ford-extended-service-plans.323161/

Peter

5. MrHarryReems

MrHarryReems New Member

City, State:
      Volcano, HI
      2013 XLT
      Thanks for the tip! I've been trying to price warranties around this morning. Sadly, most of them want upwards of 20% of the cost of the vehicle, which doesn't make sense financially and negates some of the cost advantages of buying used.

I did try entering the vehicle information at the Ford website for the plan, and it said there was an error and I need to call. I will try giving Joel a call to see what he can do.

6. MrHarryReems

MrHarryReems New Member

City, State:
      Volcano, HI
      2013 XLT
      As I sit here crunching the numbers, and I'm finding that used car with warranty costs about the same as new at the end of the day. Frustrating that warranties are so expensive. I haven't purchased a vehicle in so long that I'm shocked by what things cost today. Looks like I may end up with a new one if they can get the numbers right.

7. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      You have to keep in mind that Ford extended warranties go back to the vehicle's "In Service" date. So if you purchase for example a 48 month warranty, it only adds 12 months to the vehicle's warranty. It does give you the ability to get coverage for a 1st day rental. The warranties get more expensive if you buy on after the manufacturer's warranty has run out because then it is considered a 'Used' car. Good luck. If it makes you feel any better, the U.S. costs are much lower than what we pay here in Canada.

Peter

8. MrHarryReems

MrHarryReems New Member

City, State:
      Volcano, HI
      2013 XLT
      I ended up finding a 2015 locally that still has some factory warranty. I may add some additional ESP, depending on the cost. I hate buying cars, and I'd love to have a warranty to cover me to 100k.

9. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3