Push Bar for Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Don't forget, if you have the adaptive cruise control that most (or all) attachments like these won't work. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bull Guard

Hey all! I'm looking for a nice bull guard for my new 2013 XLT. I like the look of the stainless steel Black Horse but it looks really low and I read that you have to notch the bumper cover for installation. Anyone have experience installing this? Like it? Other bull guards you recommend? I don't like brush guards on this vehicle..just my opinion. :) Checked other threads but can't find any recent discussions...

hi Fordgirl,
I like the Black Horse also, but i got another one from carid and i am also facing the same issue where you have to cut off a few pieces of the frame and bumper.

http://www.carid.com/2013-ford-explorer-grill-guards/steelcraft-bull-bar-866212.html

install instructions
http://steelcraftautomotive.com/_uploaded_files/71390installation_instructions645instructions.pdf

I am quite hesitant to do this. I may probably return it. Would like to get feedback from others and their experience also.

The Westin bull bar is good. The cuts you make in the bottom plastic are small. If you're concerned, just buy a replacement from ford parts. But why be concerned if you putting in the bar? If you like the look, don't let a little plastic get in your way.

I left the skid plate off.

96abf71f-26a7-49c5-a110-16ecbdcc4aa1_zpsf5fa9628.jpg

Shadow71:

You will have to disconnect or totally relocate the ACC sensor if you wish to install any type of bullbar for your vehicle. Sorry but I wish that we had better news for you.

How difficult and how expensive would it be to move the ACC sensor? I would really like to get a brush guard / bull bar for my 2013 Explorer Sport.

Sorry but since I am not a certified Ford service technician; I hate to tell you the wrong thing which could totally screw up your electronics if you know what I mean. I am sure though that someone with some knowledge of how the electronics in the Ford Explorer is supposed to work; that they could tell you how you could possibly relocate this in my opinion.

How difficult and how expensive would it be to move the ACC sensor? I would really like to get a brush guard / bull bar for my 2013 Explorer Sport.

Sorry but since I am not a certified Ford service technician; I hate to tell you the wrong thing which could totally screw up your electronics if you know what I mean. I am sure though that someone with some knowledge of how the electronics in the Ford Explorer is supposed to work; that they could tell you how you could possibly relocate this in my opinion.

This just made me change my mind on the bull bar - mailing it back tomorrow!!

Thanks

The Westin bull bar is good. The cuts you make in the bottom plastic are small. If you're concerned, just buy a replacement from ford parts. But why be concerned if you putting in the bar? If you like the look, don't let a little plastic get in your way.

I left the skid plate off.

I'm a little fickle so I want the option that if I ever get tired of the look, I can take it off without permanent damage.... ;) And I hate to have to order a replacement part for something like this.
Do you have any clearance issues with how low it sits?

Roamingphantom...I like the Carid...not sure I've heard of this brand....but it looks good! Hoping we can get a bit more info from others on this site. :)

Does anyone have any experience with Vanguard products? I found a stainless bull bar on eBay for $189 that says no drilling or holes are required for installation...sounds intriguing!

If no drilling is required, then they are bolt-on for sure. Some bull bars offer this kind of feature. Here are some popular brands of bull bars - http://4wheelonline.com/Bull_Bars.175679. The Go Rhino requires no drilling also. Personally, I like the unique look of the Sypder bullbar though I'm not sure if they have one for our Explorer.

I'm a little fickle so I want the option that if I ever get tired of the look, I can take it off without permanent damage.... ;) And I hate to have to order a replacement part for something like this.
Do you have any clearance issues with how low it sits?

Roamingphantom...I like the Carid...not sure I've heard of this brand....but it looks good! Hoping we can get a bit more info from others on this site. :)

Does anyone have any experience with Vanguard products? I found a stainless bull bar on eBay for $189 that says no drilling or holes are required for installation...sounds intriguing!

Mine is on ebay, cannot be installed if you have the ACC because it blocks the sensors. I confirmed that with 3 dealers. Too bad I wished I could have mine on.

I have a bull bar sitting in my living room b/c I have to cut part of the air intake for the turbos under the Ex before i can even put the bracket in and then i have to cut the two notches as well... Im like you and hesitant to do it.... but I probably will. Worst case scenario, I can buy a new piece and replace it. Its black plastic so i wouldnt have to get it painted.

I purchased the Black Horse Bull Bar, and I absolutely love it!

6918898095_73af165285_b.jpg

They, just like all others I've seen are just steel tubbing, and not STAINLESS. They will rust quickly I'm sure.

Hey all! I'm looking for a nice bull guard for my new 2013 XLT. I like the look of the stainless steel Black Horse but it looks really low and I read that you have to notch the bumper cover for installation. Anyone have experience installing this? Like it? Other bull guards you recommend? I don't like brush guards on this vehicle..just my opinion. :) Checked other threads but can't find any recent discussions...

They, just like all others I've seen are just steel tubbing, and not STAINLESS. They will rust quickly I'm sure.

You are correct. They are stainless steel coated, one hit from gravel and the rust starts. I have a Westin on my F150 that is driven on occasional gravel roads, the rust spots were noticeable in less than a year.

Bullbar on 13 Sport

Finally got around to getting the bullbar put on. Looks Awesome IMO! :thumbsup: What do you think??

Before:
945648_10151651988011514_719080373_n_zps0e0d5ff0.jpg

After:
photo_zps4b7b0829.jpg

photo1_zpscdbf804f.jpg

photo2_zpsd69f9931.jpg

Not a big fan, but you also have blocked you cooling access to both the cac and the rear turbo cooling port.

Looks nice but would this not affect the Active Cruise Control and Collision Warning systems since it appears to be blocking some of the sensor area?
It definitely would seem to obstruct most of the lower air intake opening.

Peter

Not my thing, but if you like it I'm happy for you, thats all that really matters.

I also don't like factory badges, mudd flaps, or running boards so it's not just bull bars I don't care for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our pd here has an Explorer with a push bar on the front and while I wouldn't have thought it looked good by description or even pictures, it does look mean.

Back