Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

push to start

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by twobanger, January 1, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. twobanger

twobanger New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      xlt explorer
      I have the push to start in my 2016 explorer and I read on the internet conflicting thoughts on making a extra push to start FOB. Go through the Ford instructions, my key, create mykey and it just stops. What is the truth? I'll be damned paying Ford $200 to program a new fob.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      No expert on push to start as I have a good ol key. But aren't you mixing up MyKey with programming a new key? From what I gather you want to program a new key. Once it's programmed, assuming the key is good, then the car should treat it like all others (as it's paired with the transponder chip in the key). The manual should have instructions on how to program a new key, or check on here as there's at least a few posts describing how to do it. Youtube has videos as well.

4. twobanger

twobanger New Member

xlt explorer
      I have a FOB without a visible key. The key is inside the FOB and does not flip out. Youtube has several posts on this and the 2016 owners manual says that this can be done by consumer through a series of locks, unlocks, push brake, etc.. Very frustrating.

5. Rainlord

Rainlord Active Member

City, State:
      Zurich, Switzerland
      Explorer 2012 XLT
      Yes, there is a process to reprogram the key as the car has to go into programming mode, and honestly it's super easy to do and takes you about 1 minute max. If you find that too frustrating then I don't see any other option than having a dealer do it which undoubtedly will cost a lot of money.