Ques about tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ques about tires

I was just talking to the guy at the local tire shop and he was telling me that the BF Goodrich AT and the good year wrangler AT/s tires were terrible and that I was going to hate them for everyday use. Is this true anyone use these tires.
Thanx
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BFG A/T's make excellant street tires. Their not much off-road though. I like the BFG M/T's as a true "all-terrain" tire. They are very quiet for a M/T and get excellant tread life.

After riding in my Explorer a friend of mine bought a set for his S-10 Jimmy. He can't say enough good things about them and he drives almost exclusively on the street.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

You don't think the BFG at make good off-roading tires? I figer I will be doing 75% street and 25% off-road.
THanx for the help

You don't think the BFG At's make good off-roading tires? I figer I will be doing 75% street and 25% off-road.
THanx for the help

I have the Wrangler AT/S on my 98. I really like these tires. I replaced the junk that came with it (Firestone Wilderness HT). They make a little noise but it is nothing to obtrusive. The AT/S has excellent traction on snow and ice, perform well on the road and in the dirt so far it is very good. Obviously most AT tires will fall flat in the mud but that is what mud tires are for. One other thing, what kind of off roading is the 25%? If it is just driving to the campground then go with an AT type tire, if it is really nasty wheelin' then get a mud tire. Unless of course you can afford two sets of tires.

Well out of that 25% I would have to say that less that 5% deals with mud. I'm in sand a lot. But I want something that is going to perform good on road. Also what do you think the life of these tires are.
Thanx
Keith

The Goodyear guy said they should last about 60,000 km which roughly translates to 37,500 miles.

My dad just put the Goodyear wrangler GS/A on his Explorer(I put the smach down on him after I rode in the Explorer) I do not think they are a very good tire compared to the BFG all-terrain/ta that I bought. But he said he got a good deal on them.... (I then smacked him again) Dead Link Removed

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

I was wondering if you can put a "passenger" tire on the Explorer or do you have to use one that has LT in the size. A friend of mine is looking to sell her Explorer, needs tires, but doesn't want to spend a lot.

Keith D,

The Explorers actually come from the factory with "passenger" designated tires. Even the optional all-terrain tires are "P" designated. In theory a replacement tire should be of the same designation as the factory offering. The choice by individuals to go to an LT tire is purely individual preference/need and by no means a pre-requisite. Tell your friend that if he wants to save his money, get a cheap set of replacement "P" tires, thats all he needs.

------------------
Cheers,

Andrew B.
1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 (slightly modified)
BC, Canada

An LT tire has a stiffer sidewall than a P-metric tire. The LT will have a rougher ride than the P-metric but will have a higher load rating. Also the LT tire usually costs a little more. The load rating of the P-metric, which may also be refered to as Extra Load, is usually pretty close and it is a little cheaper.

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Dead Link Removed

[This message has been edited by Paul Gagnon (edited 04-01-99).]

Back