Question about replacing Explorer's headliner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about replacing Explorer's headliner

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I noticed how cheap the materials are to replace my headliner, and im itching to do mine very bad. Mines stained, and messed up where it meets the windshield. Drives me nuts, and EVERYBODY comments on it asking if I have a water leak or something, which I dont. Maybe the PO did, and they fixed it, who knows.

Im looking at the sizes, I would have to measure mine to figure out what size I need, but does the roll of fabric come in one piece and I fit/glue it in place and trim?

This never crossed my mind, but I was searching for people who've used the StockInteriors headliner kit and wondered if they liked it/disliked it and a few said they didn't know where to put the seam between both pieces they were using, as in the kit isn't one piece, but multiple.

So, is it one long, wide roll of fabric, or is it multiple smaller pieces? Considering running to the craft store and pricing material out there as well, and then I could match the fabric in my door panels which needs to be replaced anyways.

Replaced headliner with a junkyard find

Kits I've looked at elsewhere are one long sheet, 3 yards needed.

I'd planned to recover my 1992's sagging headliner, but I found a nearly perfect one at the local U-Pull-It junk yard ($10.99!) just replaced it yesterday also the driver's side visor which had sagging fabric too

A tedious job, with all the clips , handles, dome light, etc. to remove, but simple.

I took forward trim pieces completely off, Unbolted the 4 upper seat belt torx bolts and removed upper push fasteners to loosen the 2 rear sections of trim, (didn't need to remove them). Several of my plastic fasteners broke on removal, Fortunately the ones from the junker were pliable enough to re-use.

Tip: use tape, rope or bungee to pull the side trim pieces toward the center of vehicle when removing or re-installing headliner through the hatch,that made it very easy to slide in without snagging.

Downside, I put a tear in it between the visors from driving it home tied to the roof but I'll stitch that up, or cover it.

:exp:

Headliner, material from fabric store

^. Agree with Jim.

But I used material from fabric store... The fabric store cerainly had a wide selection, and was inexpensive. I selected a soft synthetic material in a camo pattern. It matches the dark green exterior paint and grey interior very well.

Looks great, and the camo hides any imperfections.

The spray adhesive for headliners was also available at fabric store, and worked very well. The entire project cost about $25 dollars.

Good luck.

Mr. Alligator

Back