• Register Today It's free!

questions about lowering

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
i posted about this in a facebook group where guys brag about their mods on their trucks.... i didnt get any answers.... maybe they just dont know how to understand why i would want to lower a 4x4 instead of lift it....

i have put thought into maybe eventually lowering my truck for safety and comfort reasons... it rides about a foot high off the ground as it is. i want to know about lowering it as much as possible without making any major changes to the body/chassis/frame. im not interested it dropping it to the ground, just want it lower, maybe 4-6 inches or so.

is it even possible to lower a 4x4? if so, then how? shorter springs and struts?

if it is possible to lower it, what would the situation be for wheel clearance if i added on some 20 inch wheels?
would fancy wheels even work on a 4x4?

i obviously know nothing about lowering or lifting... looking for some answers. thanks in advance!

Well, the rear is spring under, so you can just put a block between the spring and axle to lower the rear. On the
front you can just cut the coil spring 1/2 turn at a time until you get the ride height your looking for.

Shorten the shocks, take to alignment shop to get laughed at for lowering a 4x4 and your good to go. :snicker:

LMAO ok

2" is about as low as the front will go before camber cant be adjusted. .they made or still make drop springs for it,if not you can use ranger springs. .if any more than 2" you would need whats called ''dream beams"" where they have been cut and the spindle welded up..BUT they dont make them for explorer and especially not for a 4x4..

So your stuck with 2" drop springs and 2"blocks in the rear..if wanna go cheap 1 and a half coil cut outa the front equals about 2" and advance auto sells 2" blocks for the rear..shocks will be fine with 2"..then get alignment

Back