and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Quick wiring question

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by Karpiel73, May 7, 2012.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Karpiel73

Karpiel73 Active Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Year and Model:
      '01 Explorer Sport
      I'm outlining my cargo trailer with LEDs and I plan to run an 8 gauge wire from the battery the entire way to the rear of the trailer. (with a quick connect at the tongue)
      My question is, would I be okay using an inline fuse that uses 10 gauge wire and a blade fuse? I can't find an inline fuse that uses 8 ga. wire. Oh and I'll be drawing about 15-20 amps and have about a 34ft run from battery to trailer rear door, hence the 8 gauge power wire.

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rickybobby

rickybobby Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Battle Creek, mi
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT
      go to a stereo shop, they have in-line fuses for as big as 00gauge

4. Karpiel73

Karpiel73 Active Member

City, State:
      Pittsburgh, PA
      Year and Model:
      '01 Explorer Sport
      Went to the local stereo shop and got an inline Maxi blade fuse holder. The wire on it says 8 Gauge but the guys said it's actually 10 gauge :confused:
      Anyway, they said there would be no problem with using that fuse. But I couldn't get a word in edge wise cause I guess my knowledge wasn't on their level :rolleyes: So hopefully they're right.

5. Bill Kemp

Bill Kemp Elite Moderator Emeritus Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Greenville, MI
      Year and Model:
      98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
      If your running your wire under the X be sure to put 2 wire looms over it. You wont believe the short life of an uncovered wire under an X. That is why the MFG. run all the wires inside the veh.