Dismiss Notice

to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews, discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

R.J.'s B2 Build

Discussion in 'Offroad Explorer - Ranger Projects' started by R.J., October 1, 2016.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. timtimtimajim

timtimtimajim Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Been wanting to do this on my Ex. Always thought the only way to do it would be to put the sender into the side of the pan. So I have a few questions about installing it the way you did.

Was the sending unit 1/8" NPT? If not what size was it?
      Did it thread into the pressure port with no issue?
      Any trans fluid leak out when you put the sender in?
      Do you get an accurate temperature reading from it?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      I believe it was 1/8" NPT, it was the one that came with my gauge. It threaded in no problem, no leaks. So far it seems pretty accurate to me. I read about it on another thread, but there's little to no information on how well it works in that spot. so I took a chance and tried it. So far so good.

I don't know if any will leak out, becaus I did while I was doing a trans service, so I installed it while I had the pan off.

• Like Like x 1
    4. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      Two things this week. Built some rock sliders, and went off-roading to "test" them out.

Spent FOREVVVVVVER building the sliders. 2x2 square tubing, 3/16" thick. I notched out the rocker panels So I could tuck them up nice and high. A bronco 2 frame has almost no space to mount things on the frame because it's so short and there's so many brackets on it already (body mounts, spring hangers, radius arm brackets, parking brake cable brackets, and I had to leave space for the extended radius arm brackets I'll install later. Happy with how they turned.

WP_20170320_13_55_45_Rich.jpg

WP_20170320_13_56_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20170320_13_56_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20170320_13_56_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20170320_13_56_55_Pro.jpg

I still have to do something to mount the parking brake cable. Had, to cut the rivet and move it out of the way. It's temporarily zip tied on.

Last edited: March 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM
    5. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      They flex more then I'd like. I'll try to do some more support and reinforcing.

WP_20170320_14_19_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20170320_14_18_27_Pro.jpg
      (both wheels off the ground)

6. WormsExplorer

WormsExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, co
      93 Explorer XLT
      Very nice

7. RockRanger

RockRanger Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Fresno CA
      86 ranger no more
      Callsign:
      KK6TDL
      Slowly watching this turn into the Navajo.....;):burnout:

8. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      It's still on stock suspension! ...basically.

I learned a lot with the Navajo. So whatever this thing is like in the end, hopefully I learned what I should do and what I don't want to do.

9. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      What don't you like about the Navajo? I still love that thing. I mean I basically am turning my truck into that haha.

10. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      It's. It's hard to say. What it needs is a trailer. And then with a trailer it would turn into an all out off road beast project. Long freeway trips in that car are terrible. Off road it does ok. Truckhaven it does good, rocks it does bad, the sand it does bad. Because it's in a weird "renovation" type phase when I was last building it. All of the road manners went out the window and the off road ability isn't matching up with that trade off. With double cases, shocks through the floor and a good leaf setup, new hydro bump setup, d44 outers, 5.13 gears, 37's, off road seats and harnesses, a trailer, and a truck to tow it. And then another car for a daily car other than those two. And I don't wanna do it. I'd love to have alllllllllll of that... But as a 27 yr old who still at home.... It just seems like too much.

In the b2, I drove out to Cleghorn with the ac on, cruise control at 70mph, I have a good stereo in it, no crazy road noise, and I used less than a half tank of gas for the whole trip. And I had a blast and I did like 80% of the trail. And right now in life, that's what I want. Maybe later in life I'll have a tow rig and the b2 or Navajo, or something else, will be a big dog hammers type rig. But for now, something with good road manners. I've been daily driving the b2 and I've put 10k miles on it since august. And I love it. It's super light and super small compared to an explorer, and with less overhang, break over angel, and more rocker clearance than an explorer. So its a lot of fun to enjoy on and off the trail, and I can put a few hundred bucks into it every month as I continue to wheel it use it. And hopefully I don't ruin that about it. And caring about how it drove to the trail and back, and h it being any sort of a practical car outside of off roading was the last thing on my mind with the Navajo.

Sorry for the long rant. I was just thinking as I typed. It's a question that I think about a lot. "why not just continue on with the Navajo". And every time I think about it, it's a hard one to put in simple terms. The Navajo is like a toy, a full project, and I want a car, that you can drive. It's not just a toy. Its just modified. Its hard to make mud terrains into all terrains... But hopefully I can make a really good all terrain.

11. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      And your truck is awesome too! I still think the Navajo is awesome. Yours won't turn out like mine, your doing everything super legit and getting it all figured out, and you'll iron out anything that needs attention. I kind of bit off more than I could chew with mine. So, cause you are building a care like the Navajo (actually your car is now what I always wanted the Navajo to be) I'll point out a few things currently on the Navajo that I don't like. (Again, you probably won't have any of these problems)

1. Body solid welded to the car aka road noise.
      2. 03 F150 rear axle. I hate the bolt pattern, and I never rigged up the parking brake to work. Which is worse with a manual trans
      3. Manual transmission. More reliable than an a4ld, but once there rocks in the trail...
      4. Adapters on the front wheels for the bolt pattern.
      5. Rear suspension. It's awful.
      6. Dunlop mud brutes. - never again
      7. Running 35's with gearing for 33's in a stick shift. It's not horrible, but I don't like it.
      8. The cross bar for the roll cage. Pretty sure the passenger will hit they're head on it in a roll over, and it's in the way that I can't move my seat very far back, or even lean it back much.
      9. Seats not tied into the cage. Ans no harnesses.
      10. Rear bumper just has way too much overhang.
      11. Steering. It's stock inverted Y with a drop pitman. It's the opposite of refined or "dialed"
      12. Drive line vibration. I didn't really set my pinion angle when I did the spring over. I also I used some terrible and wimpy spring perches.

there's probably more that I'm not thinking about. And there's also things that aren't done to the car that I don't like. I mean there's things that never got fixed. The interior lights don't work. The blinkers don't work, the cruise doesn't work, ac doesn't work, the hatch doesn't really latch, the trans makes a lot of noise in 5th gear, a bent rim/unbalanced, the cat rattles, and when you try to turn up the radio loud to overpower all the tire noise, wind noise, road noise, tranny noise, etc, it just sounds like blah. Even though the speakers have been replaced. And then you're between 11-12 miles to the gallon while your enjoying all of that.

end rant/

Last edited: March 21, 2017 at 3:37 AM
    12. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      Makes sense, priorities change and there's nothing wrong with that. I just have fond memories of that truck and most/all of those things are fixable, but wanting to actually make the changes is another thing. Anytime I hear of someone looking for a new project I still refer them to it because I'd love to see it taken even further.

13. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      I would love to see it live on. And I'd love to go off road along side of it, like I did this weekend. The Navajo is kind of like an ex girlfriend. We didn't have a bad relationship, but I'm in a new relationship now :D

• Like Like x 2
    14. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      It's been almost two weeks with the trans gauge. The temp sender in the a4ld pressure port of my bronco ii seems to be working fine. In town the temps stay around 150* and on longer trips (over 45 minutes) it will get to about 170* and stay there, especially if I hit some hills. When I went out off roading, the trans stayed cool on the trail. The weather was nice and cool and we stopped several times. It was at a steady 170 in the beginning, after the drive to get there, but after a few stops it cooled down and stayed under 160* the rest of the trail. But on the way there, driving about 70-75, with ac on and it was a little hot outside, on the long uphill grades the temp got up to around 190*. So I think a larger cooler will be good when the summer comes.

15. timtimtimajim

timtimtimajim Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Colorado Springs, CO
      1993 Explorer Sport
      Good to hear! Just finished installing my trans temp gauge earlier today, so it's good to hear yours is working out. Makes me more confident with the install

• Like Like x 1
    16. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Habra Hts, CA
      91 Navajo, 90 Bronco II
      Flex shot from Sunday :D

WP_20170319_17_14_08_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    17. R.J.

R.J. Elite Explorer