Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Radio/Amplifier Sound issues

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Liam Moonan, September 30, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Liam Moonan

Liam Moonan New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 Ford Explorer XLT
      I need some help trying to figure out what's wrong with my radio on my 1993 Ford explorer XLT (which is part number f2df 18k817 bf). A couple weeks ago it just stopped making sound, but I discovered if you pump the volume all the way up and hold your ear to the speaker, you can hear what's playing on the radio. I was originally planning on getting a new radio because the cassettes kept getting spit out anyway, but now I think it is a problem with the Amplifier. I have a completely stock system, and the owner's manual says it has JBL sound. I'm hoping it's something easy, like a loose plug somewhere, but after searching the internet for few days I haven't been able to find any useful information about where the wires go from the radio. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

-Liam

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      93 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      The stock amp is likely gone. Aftermarket HU's are an easy DIY install.

4. 2stroke

2stroke Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Annandale, MN
      1993 Ford Explorer Sport
      The amplifier is behind the plastic on the passenger side, and bolted above the wheel well. The plastic is one piece from the passenger side rear door, to the rear hatch. There are plugs at the amplifier.

5. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Woodstock, GA
      04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
      Liam, I fear there is no hope for you.

:snicker: "I was originally planning on getting a new radio because the cassettes kept getting spit out anyway"

6. Liam Moonan

Liam Moonan New Member

1993 Ford Explorer XLT
      lol you're right. I got my sister's old car stereo and it looks like a perfect fit, but the plugs don't match up. It has a CD player lol. Is there an adapter or something I need? Thanks

7. larrydd999

larrydd999 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Port Angeles, WA
      92 XLT, 94 Limited
      The JBL system radio/cassette unit has a low level output to the amplifier, it won't drive speakers directly (at least not at any significant volume) and has an 'enable' wire that turns the amplifier on when the radio is on. If you put a standard radio in place of the OEM radio, you would need to either purchase an adapter box that goes between the radio and the amplifier or - your option since you want to bypass the amplifier - disconnect the amplifier completely and connect the speakers directly to the radio. Both of our GEN1 Explorers have the JBL system; I've done both, and actually prefer using the OEM amplifier and speaker system.

• Like Like x 1