• Register Today It's free!

Radio facia removal

jnsnwt

Reaction score
City, State
Odessa, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT Sport, 5 Spd
On our '02 Explorer XLS how does the faceplate that surronds the radio and climate controlls come off ? I tried gently prying on it but it did not want to come off so I quit before screwing something up. Are there hidden screws or is it held in place by those squeeze together plastic darts that just press into the metal dash holes ?

I want to upgrade the factory radio to an all-in-one unit but before I go shopping on Ebay I need to know how mine is mounted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crap... I just did this with a buddy and I let him handle the radio while I worked on the strobes. The Gray piece?
26354.jpg

I was thinking it just popped off. The radio removal needs a special tool I thought?

NO, not the gray oblong part with the gorilla nipple sticking out of it. I want to remove the radio from the dash.

You need a bent tip pick tool. You have to get the tip of the pick behind the silver bezel in that pic and pull out. The whole thing is held on with compression clips. Just work your way around the outside.

I just used a screwdriver to pry mine out enough so I could get hold of it with my fingers and then popped it right out.

removal of face plate

I am trying to remove the face plate on my 2006 ford explorer radio help me....

Back