Radio LED display fix!!! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

Tks for reply. My radio has three sockets at the back with pins. But the wiring harness only provides for the two bottom sockets. 2 plugs.... There are four "cavities" 2 t the bottom 2 at the top. Of the 2 at the top only the on on the left has pins. And that is the one that is not provided for in the harness. Not to clear in my mind about subwoofer. The radio has only one sticker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you don't have the Mach or the subwoofer. You have a storage pocket in the right rear of the cargo area.

Does your radio have an "RDS" button or a "CLOCK" button? Look on the right side , and there should be a good picture here somewhere. The Premier radio has the "RDS" button as well as the Mach does, the other radios are all Ford and have a "CLOCK" button.

Yes I do have the RDS button

The first pic I just snapped from the back of my radio. It does say ...Explorer Premium. I also spent the last hour trying one more time to revive the display with the solder cleanup but to no avail. So I will stick to obtaining a replacement radio. Prefer to go with the original ford types than to shift to another brand. And believe there are many here. Not up to rewiring anything.

I have selected a few possible radios. Just making sure they will work.

Very good. I wish I could point you to a good repair place or a radio that is ready. I spoke with the man who did mine and whom I've suggested for others. He doesn't do that much now because the pricing of repaired radios has gone down, versus the availability of used radios. Supply and demand does work, I wish our government would let it work.

Just bought this one XF2F-18C868-AD perfect match. I should have it in 5 days. Thanks for chatting and your ideas.

Very good, and how bad is shipping for that to you? Shipping for anything now is becoming a significant factor.

It will be shipped to Houston and then a sister of mine will bring it down to Belize. I do purchase a lot of computer parts and shipped direct via xpress mail. Not bad at all.

Just picked up a new steering wheel for US75.00. Think it was a good price. Now for thermostat housing and I'm finished with my refurbishment. Engine in top shape, body no corrosion. Brand new would be US$45,000.00 after duty. A good used one would be about US$17,5000.00 plus. So I opted to just refurbish. Spent about US$1,400.00 on under carriage and tires. Rest of vehicle in mint shape. No reason to invest right now. Under 90,000 miles too.
I do about 6 miles per day only. With out of town trips I still do less than 700 per month on the average.

For the thermostat housing, find the thread here about upgrading to the later 2002 revision parts. Evidently the first version tends to leak at the seams etc, plus it costs $250+ from Ford. The later version can be had from aftermarket places for under $100 total. The later housing requires using the later sensors and seals, bought separately, and keeping the old upper cover. It's a little research and parts collection, but it saves you money and you get an improved part.

Find that for me and I'll save it to my personal notepad for future reference.

Yes, it can be kind of tricky buying the housing. Rockauto has them complete for $118.00. Afriend at work is getting his this week. I will have a look at it and move on. The 2001 and 1998 carry the same one. I do not like the idea of the sensors but will wait and see how his looks. Buying it from Ford here I would have to shin up US$700.00. And that is without the top.

I'll probably have to do that for my SOHC truck sooner or later. I recall a price for the 2002 part from Rock auto of about $60 with no sensors. Do they have one that includes the sensors, is that where that $118 comes from?

I have the premium sound JBL radio, stock sub and amp from my 95 if anyones interested....im taking it all out, I have my own stereo to put in.

The sub actually isnt working, idk why, all you can hear from the radio is the door speakers, is there something I can check to see why its not working? Is this a common problem?

Not too certain but I think I read somewhere that it all has to do problems with the harness. If found will revert.

Just bought this one XF2F-18C868-AD perfect match. I should have it in 5 days. Thanks for chatting and your ideas.

My sis got in with Radio today from Houston. Perfect match to my old one. Just unplug the old and plugged in the replacement. Everything is fine.

Very good, enjoy it now.

Obviously I have the same problem as everyone else. Thank you ford! :thumbsup:

I've pulled the radio, and removed the board with the heat shield. Mine doesn't look "scortched" at all like many have described here, but I definately see a couple of solder joints on the bottom of the board that are cracked - there are about 10 parallel solders, and 2 of them are cracked.

My question is, do I need to remove the heat shield and examine that side of the board as well or are these cracks the same ones everyone is talking about repairing?

I would remove the shield and give it a clean under the shield, And then re solder the shield back on. Give it a clean with electrical contact cleaner / or rubbing alcohol.

Hope that helps.

Hello from a fellow display repairer,

Recently we bought a 2001 Merc Villager with a Premier radio with the RDS button. After finding this thread I was successful in resoldering the power supply as described. If I have to do it again I'll extend the grey power resistors high up off the PC board.

NOW, should my "SEL" rocker switch be lighted at night? All the other keys are lighted....If so, what is the fix?

Thanks!

anybody have any ideas about the display buttons, my radio display is great and always works but my radio display buttons actlike, they either dont come on or come on dim(like a bad ground) or none at all.....any ideas? thanks in advance.

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio Failure

:exp:Well my Radio Display went south three times so i decided to install a good am/fm/cd system.When i decide to listen to music or the radio it lights up and turns on.

Back