Radio LED display fix!!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

Well, it lasted almost 4 months

Above, I posted that I fixed it (the first time!)on March 26, 2002. It went dead again yesterday, so I'll give it another shot. I used no liquid, brush only the first time, so maybe I'll try alcohol this time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instead of trying to only clean the contacts, try resoldering the parts of the display board power supply. For specific instructions, see:
http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/

I resoldered pretty much all of the solder joints on the board, as they all looked a little funky. I focused on the joints that had the brown burnt looking marks around it. This fix has lasted almost three weeks now, way longer than the 2 days I got from merely cleaning the joints.

Hope this helps!
-Andy

Thanks, Andy!

I'll be soldering this time.

I tried the fixes mentioned, but had no change in effect. I am not sure that I agree with the loose connection or dirty board theories. Mine tends to dim and brighten. usually a bad connection will have an immediate effect. I would be more inclined to think that the problem may be in the chips on the board. The way the display acts seems to indicate more of a control problem. And i feel certain that one of those chips is a controller of some sort that may have gotten damaged over time. We all know how HOT that radio runs and the chip could have overheated. I think for my next try, I am going to buy a heat sink for the chip and see how that affects the performance. Although if the chip is already damaged, it may not do much good.

Mine is dead at 44,700 miles. I'll try to fix it tonight.

Radio Display Fix

I would like to thank you for the information concerning the radio display fix. I attempted what you wrote and my display came back to life after almost 2 yrs of no display. I had to adjust the time( it was 40 minutes off) but I'm so happy to have that thing working again. I am sending an e-mail to ford and to my service department ( who wanted $500.00 for a new radio). You are awesome and thanks for the info again. I hope and pray that a young virgin will come into your life and take care of all your wishes. Thanks again

like clockwork.....41k & change! what a joke! just started to go on/off last saturday. what a POS! its like they make these things to die just after the warranty expires.

(this is actually my second radio b/c the first one swallowed a cd & wouldn't give it up)

we'll see how bad it gets or if it goes out all together!

if this thing dies on me....ford better watch out. they doesn't want to deal with me!!!!

sorry...just had to vent!

"....ford better watch out. they doesn't want to deal with me!!!! "

whoops....they DON"t want to deal with me.

(got distracted while writing)

I took my radio out. It looks like it can't be fixed without a new board. The plastic display got so hot it actually melted to the board. all of the solder joints look fine though.

When my radio display died, I sent my radio to:

In House Service Company,
12 Technology Drive, Ste.13,
Setauket, NY 11733
(631) 751-1803

They rebuilt the radio display driver board and checked the unit out, for $78.00. (Better deal than CarRadio.Com). I had mine done over a year ago and its has been working great since. Quick turnaround, too. Nice people to deal with (ask for Wayne).

Thanks bseblfevr9 - I tried this yesterday and it worked just like you stated. I have no idea how you ever determined the solution to this. I had taken my radio out before and had examined it - but saw nothing wrong. I didn't take the component out however - so I missed seeing the problem. I only cleaned it with a toothbrush and no alchohol - so I'll probably need to re-do this in the near future. If it works for awhile, then I'll fix my other Explorer since it's doing the same thing.

But thanks again for the help on this.

Radio Display Fix

Parker2k I think you replied to me in error, but let me tell you my experience with this fix. The longest this has worked has been approximately 2 weeks. After I followed the instructions for removing the heat shield and then re-soldering it my display went haywire, all of the information was displayed at once. I mean all of the information the display could display was displayed(???). After 6 days the display was gone again. I recently found another thread that showed where to purchase a new power unit for the display. Search the audio threads and you'll find the info. If you want to continue to repair this unit yourself be advised that soldering requires some skill.

2 cents

Thought I would post my thoughts on this.

I originally tried the 'cleaning'. It worked for maybe a Day. Then I lived without a radio display for another month or two. Then the shareamemory.com fix popped up someplace (might have been the newsgroups). Anyways, I had a soldering iron, EE degree, figured I could give it a go (it wasn't working anyways). I resoldered basically ALL the joints on the power supply board. Since then, my display has been working perfectly. I did not move the resistor, although it does make sense to lift it off the board, especially if it is the heat culprit. My display has been working since.. I would guess for at least 3-4 months, but I 'm not 100% sure about that. Radio is on all the time the truck is on.

Hope this gives a bit of perspective... no guarantees of course, but it MAY work for you.

-Andy

Radio Display Fix

I followed the instructions for cleaning the board as described by shareamemory. I also removed the heat shield and cleaned the top of the board. I was very careful when I re-soldered the shield. I dont understand what could have corrupted the display other than a possible mistake in the soldering. I did not however find any solder that might have bridged a circuit or any burn marks I might have made. I am completely baffled as to why the board displayed so much info and why it only worked for such a short period of time. Any idea?

Ford Radio Display Problem ( Instructions Fix to the Problem)

Ford Radio Display Problem ( Instructions Fix to the Problem)

1998 & Up FORD RADIO DISPLAY GOING DIM OR HAS GONE TOTALLY OUT BLANK

I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOU IN HOW TO FIX THE PROBLEM

www.caraudiolabs.net

or email : caraudiolab@aol.com

Very Simple Fix to Ford Display Problem

THIS APPLIES TO FORD 98 & UP FORD DISPLAY GOING DIM OR BEING COMPLETELY OUT.....

I HAVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR YOU

Very Simple FIX TO THE PROBLEM

www.caraudiolabs.net

email me for instructions at

caraudiolab@aol.com

aldive, Fonseca wants to sell the instructions, so he probably won't post them here. I've already contacted him.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Display back up!

You can add me to the list, mine went out last week at 67821 miles on it, Took the the supply board out and two of the solder joints was broke on the shield and heat discolor on backside of board where the resitors are. I rasied them as far off the board as I could and touched up acouple of other solder points. Works good again! Don

Back