Radio LED display fix!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio LED display fix!!!

My display went out also. 2000 Eddie Bauer with 70000 miles. Finally took the time to clean and resolder all the connections and has worked for a week now. I have complained to FORD. They will not cover due to miles. I guess I wore the radio out driving down the road. Anyway it is working now and hope it remains on for a while. Thanks to everyone here for the good info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio LED

Ordered and recieved parts from Pioneer took 8 weeks installed new board in 10 minutes and working fine no more taking apart and cleaning around 90$ for 3 boards but only replaced the one hopefully the end of it

I installed the new board about 2 wks ago. No problems to report. The board with the plug-in sockets I can figure out, anyone know what the 3rd board is for?

Re: Radio LED

Originally posted by djh
Ordered and recieved parts from Pioneer took 8 weeks installed new board in 10 minutes and working fine no more taking apart and cleaning around 90$ for 3 boards but only replaced the one hopefully the end of it

Do you have the part numbers and where you got them from? Edit: Nevermind.. I found them on the other link.

My display went out a couple weeks ago and I'm going to try the fix here in a few minutes, but would like to know the part numbers and the place you got them from.

Edit: Just took the radio out.. cleaned, resoldered, and replaced..

Guess what? It's working! We'll see how long it lasts... then I'll probably buy the boards!

Thanks Alot!!!

here's my story

First of all, thanks to all of you for your input, without which I wouldn't even have attempted this job.

The display on my radio used to flicker randomly, so I took it to Ford during my warranty period and they replaced it. Or so they said. I do NOT believe it. Soon thereafter, my warranty expired and the display completely died.

I cleaned out the power board using a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol but that didn't help. Then I carefully looked at all solder joints and saw that two joints on the display/faceplate board had fused and the solder had gotten crusty/brown/black. I cleaned that area out with rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab. Then I soldered the two points (they were very close together), making sure they don't make contact.

Voila! The radio display is BACK!! Having said that, I don't know how long it'll last mainly because my soldering job was poor. I read up on soldering and it says I should heat the surfaces, then apply solder. How do you heat pinprick points on a curcuit board without burning the board?? I used a 30watt soldering iron with 0.016mm resin-core solder but had a really hard time with it. It would just bead up. After several tries, I was able to do a half-assed job on the display board. The heat shield joints weren't bad because they're not so minute. Oh yes, I took the heat shield off, to clean the other side of the board with rubbing alcohol.

SO, two things:

1. Can somebody tell me how to solder these boards?

2. I think everyone's case isn't exactly the same. The solder points could be bad/broken/fused ANYWHERE on the boards. One should thorughly examine the boards under a good light to see what the offending point(s) may be.

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR MAKING THIS POSSIBLE FOR ME :)

Ford Blank Radio Display Do-It-Yourself Fix

If you're looking for instructions on how to do it yourself with pictures, try:

www.shareamemory.com/radio

The site has detailed pictures of the whole process to fix your display and also details on different scenerios you may run into while doing the repair.

i just got mine to work again!!
first i just scrubbed it with a toothbrush, and resoldered the 2 connectors for the metal heat shield back on, since they broke off......i figured it wouldn't be that easy, but installed it and nothing happened.

Then i decided to look a little harder at the circuit board. there was one little diode and one of it's connectors broke away from the board. I imagine that is why the lights would go on and off, because the diode was close enough to the board for a while that it would make contact sometimes, but then othertimes it would be just too far to make contact...due to bouncing around while driving down the road. Anyways, i dabbed some solder on that joint, plugged it in, and she works again!!

I sure am glad i found this thread today, we're going to be driving 1200miles over the course of this weekend, we'll see if it holds up. I'm thinking about getting a little 12volt fan and mounting it above the radio to get some air flow up there, to help keep things cool.

Thanks for sharing your experiences w/ this poorly manufactured radio!

matt

lol, lets count how many hours that it was working!
4 maybe?
it may be time to pay one of these other guys to fix it

Yeah.. i did that a couple times..

I just ordered the boards from Pioneer...

Good Luck!

really??
which boards did you order??
i am thinking of doing that...but since i have my trip tomorrow, i went out to circuit city and bought a little JVC one and just installed it....and it works :)

i still want the factory one in there...
can you give me the part numbers of the boards you ordered?? email me at centrek@comcast.net

thanks!!

Originally posted by centrek
really??
which boards did you order??
i am thinking of doing that...but since i have my trip tomorrow, i went out to circuit city and bought a little JVC one and just installed it....and it works :)

i still want the factory one in there...
can you give me the part numbers of the boards you ordered?? email me at centrek@comcast.net

thanks!!

you have mail!

Latest result

display went completely after trying the cleaning route last year.
I pursued boilermakerfan route of also redoing the solder joints. did about 90% of them. couldn't get to the others. display has been working great since.
didn't raise the resistors. may do that if it goes out again but will wait till then. Obviously, the circuits and chips are good. must be the heat that is affecting the solder joints in time. by doing all of them, however, i don't know which one is the culprit.

Cleaning didn't work

Cleaning the board didn't work for me- does anyone have part nos. or contact info to order the new boards from Pioneer?

I just bought a 98 Explorer XLT 5.0 with 58k miles and two days later my display qiut working along with the CD
player, but the radio still works. Is there another possible cause for both the CD and the display to quit working simultaneously? Any input would be appreciated .
Thanks
Randy

Can anyone tell me how to remove these radios?

I have the special tool, and have removed the two bolts below the unit, and still I can't get the radio to come out?

You dont have to remove the screws, just insert both u bars(tools) and pull them apart while pulling out the radio. So the motion should be apart and out at the same time. You should have it out in no time.

Randy
You'll have to select the right function key for the cd player to work. The display is another story. Try disconnecting the battery, the radio might come back on for you to see if the cd player is working or not. Disconnect for several hours. Radio circuit must be cold.

Thanks!

That did the job!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about a pic of what I would get for $92.?

Back