Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ranchos or Spacers?

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Ricky_Bobby, September 13, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ricky_Bobby

Ricky_Bobby New Member

City, State:
      Eastern PA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 Explorer
      Took my 05 4.0 in for an alignment and was told I need front struts along with two new tires. Since I am already pulling the struts out, I am thinking I might as well add a small lift while I am in there. I just hit 188K on the vehicle and it is my daily driver which I put 11-14K miles per year on. I live in a city but would say 85% of my driving is highway.

I am looking at a pair of 265/70/16 All-Terrains and trying to decide what to do for struts. Pricing I can find for Rancho Quick Lifts would put me back around $725 and Monroe quick struts with BTF 1.5/1.0 spacers would be about $650. I have heard good and not so good on the Ranchos and Monroe quick struts seem to get the most recommendations on here from what I have read. Wanted to get some others opinions on which to go with or other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      If its a 4x4 they forgot to tell you to replace the back 2 as well or you will have problems.

4. Ricky_Bobby

Ricky_Bobby New Member

City, State:
      Eastern PA
      05 Explorer
      Yes, it is 4x4 and I am planning to replace all 4 corners then take to have the tires installed and alignment done.

5. TechGuru

TechGuru Well-Known Member

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      Last edited: September 14, 2017
    6. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      You mean 4 tires too right?

7. extra-medium

extra-medium Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Charlottesville, VA
      2002 Mercury Mountaineer
      I have the quick lifts and am satisfied by them. I am running 265/75/16 Cooper Discoverer RTX's. Fuel mileage sucks, but it looks good imo.

8. Coolhand20th

Coolhand20th Member

2003 Ford Explorer Xlt
      Nothing wrong with Cooper tires like the poster above has, I just put a set of Cooper AT3's on mine and love them. OTD it was $554 and then I got $205 in rebates from Discount Tire, so all in all I got a good deal. No noise on any of the different roads we have around the Green Bay area, Explorer all around just feels better to drive unlike those junk Destination LE2's I had them remove. Had a set of those on our Jeep Liberty and it was a mistake from the get go. I've had Goodyear Wranglers, Michelin and Firestone's in the past on different vehicles and won't touch those brands anymore. Bridgestone's I will use even though they are owned by Firestone but I've been in their plant where they make the tires and there is a BIG BIG difference in the quality of their molds they use and the process of making them. I stick to said Bridgestone's, Coopers, Generals and in a rare instance BF Goodrich.

Get the tires that you think looks the best and will work the best for the area you live in.

9. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      PA gets a lot of snow don't it? I'd get a M+S rated tire if one does not have a separate winter tire set.

10. Ricky_Bobby

Ricky_Bobby New Member

City, State:
      Eastern PA
      05 Explorer
      TechGuru - What did you do to get that discount on rock auto? I am not sure why my original price was at $725, when I looked at the Ranchos this morning I was coming up with $690 with shipping included then will be able to do the $80 rebate. That sounds like a good deal to me at $600 after discount and rebate.

As for tires, yes I am looking at all 4 or even 5 and we get a fair amount of snow. I would say usually somewhere between 2-6 inches maybe 4-6 times a winter. I have come across a set of (5) 265/70-16 Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar with about 10K miles on them for $600. I have been talking to the seller and have not yet asked best price he would do. I am considering these but just trying to figure out if the load rating matters or how they would work for me. If not those, I am thinking about buying a brand new pair of Coopers from a local shop. I want to stick with an all terrain tread with the amount of highway driving I do which also might convince me into buying a small 4 cylinder for commuting next spring after I experience the gas mileage on the lifted explorer and take away some of the wear and tear.

I think I am convinced on the Ranchos after not hearing any one voting on the spacers. Just need to make a decision on tires now.

11. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      Enter the numbers at the bottom in the "How did you hear about us?" box. https://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com

12. Ricky_Bobby

Ricky_Bobby New Member

City, State:
      Eastern PA
      05 Explorer
      Thanks for the hook up! Might order them this weekend then just need to figure out tires.

13. TechGuru

2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
      Are you anywhere near a Discount Tire Co?

14. bronco loco

bronco loco New Member

City, State:
      li new york
      explorer 2003
      I was a similar situation last year on my 2003 Ex. A couple of body to frame bushings needed to be replaced, it was not an easy task on a vehicle from NY. While I replaced the bushings, I decided to raise the body 1.5". Three weeks ago I took advantage of LABOR DAY sale at Discount tire, and bought a set of Cooper at3 265-70-17, I also have these tires on my Early 72 Bronco and really like them. The tires are mounted now and really like the new stance on the Ex.

I came across a set of generic 1.5 spacers, front and back from a member here and this week decided to replace my front and rear struts with a set ok KYBs.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.