Ranger axle to Explorer!!?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger axle to Explorer!!??

H

HIX

I was sittin here daydreaming on how I could modify my new explorer better than the last one when I began to wonder about the ranger/explorer axle swap. Same axle right? But w/ the spring pads on top. Some new shock mounts and Vuuwwaaallaa! Nearly a direct bolt-in. Has anyone tried this swap? It would net you the 4 or so inches and still keep the stock rear springs. I know this is simplistic of me. Surely the spring perches are different widths apart. Does anyone know?

------------------
HIX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Superlift sells a spring over axle conversion for the explorer. Or you can weld a spring perch on as Rick on the main explorer page. No need to axle swap.

That should work. My friend has a Bronco II 2wd that he lowered with an Explorer rearend.
The spring-over conversion will give about 5 1/2 inches of lift. If you do want to go with this setup, make sure you use an 8.8 and stay away from the 7.5 Even better, go to the junk yard with your tape measure and check it out. For some reason Explorer rearends are worth more than Ranger/Bronco II units so it might be worthwhile.

I know that Superlift has the axle over swap. But the cost of a fab shop re-weld almost makes it not worth it. Plus a j-yard or even a re-man shop will take a trade on the explorer axle for ranger axle. Just gotta get it and bolt it up. This is assuming the front is already lifted. It would be good to know the spring width on both. It's always fun to kick ideas back and forth!

------------------
HIX

Well I was thinking the exact same thing. But if it lifts the rear by doing that, then you should in therory be able to yank the front springs while you are at it and get some more lift up front. I know that your Explorer would then sit slanted down cause most Rangers I see do that.

Thanks

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

An Explorer axle housing (a Ford 8.8) is about 2 inches wider than a Ranger 8.8 axle. Also, the Explorer uses 30 spline axles and the Ranger uses 28 spline axles. Not all Rangers have 8.8 axles, either. Some (the non-4.0L engine models) have 7.5" axles. You do NOT want one of these.

The spring pads are in a different place, the shock mounts are different, and the rear sway bar mount is different (if you want to use one). Swapping to a Ranger is probably not the way to go.

I think the easiest thing to do is a spring-over.

However, I am looking for an Explorer axle to stuff under the back end of my Ranger .....

------------------
Scott
sjbosso@mindspring.com

After all those diffs. why would you want to swap an Explr axle into a ranger(besides spline count)?

------------------
HIX

The axle tubes are larger in diameter, meaning stronger. Also, the 30 spline axles represent a strength gain of approximately 30%.

Yes, there will be cutting and welding, but I think a stronger axle is worth it.

------------------
Scott
sjbosso@mindspring.com

I have heard that the rear of a Lincoln Versaille or Continental will work on the explorer. Plus you get rear disk brakes to boot! I think it has the Ford 8.8 gears.

Don't know if this helps
Mike

Hold on there partner!
The Exp. has the strongest axle in the family. I'm trying to get one under my 86' (7.5")Ranger right now. Here's what I've figured out so far:

Ranger 83-88 all, 7.5", 28 spline, 56.25" drum to drum, small backing plate pattern, 2" brakes, 3" dia. tubes

89-92 (only with 4.0?) 8.8" 28 sp., 56.25"drum to drum, small pattern, 2.5" brakes, 3" dia. tubes

93-? sheetmetal change truck got 2" wider overall
axle flange to axle flange 53", 8.8", 28 sp.
small pattern, 2.5" brakes, 3" dia. tubes

I own a 94(?) Exp axle which is 31 spline 8.8", 59" drum to drum, 53" flange to flange, with 3.75" tubes and a larger backing plate bolt pattern. I am guessing this is closer to an F-150 axle.

Can the axle housing be pulled out of the Diff case and then swap the sides??? Then the pumkin stays upright, the swaybars get re-atached in the correct spot, and the spring perchs are on the upside--
bada boom
bada bing
Spring over is sprung.. I would like to SPOA my sagging rear and remove the weak add-a-leaf.

[This message has been edited by AZExplorer (edited 05-14-99).]

Back