Ranger fender openings close to Explorer openings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger fender openings close to Explorer openings?

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Anybody have any knowledge of how close a ranger wheel well opening is to the Explorer?

Wanting to install a set of Bushwacker Cutout style flares on the 94 Ex. Thinking the closest match they sell are the 98'-11' Ranger flares that might work on the 1st-2nd gen Explorers. They don't sell them for those year explorers, but they do for rangers.
http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp?dhtmlgoodies_TruckSUV=1&dhtmlgoodies_model=358&search=Search

Close is all I care about as I have already trimmed the fenders for larger tires. Cut out 1.5" on the backside for clearance in the fronts, haven't touched the rears.

Any measurements from those that have rangers between 98-11 would help me out,
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

gregg, where do you need the measurements from, and do you want just the openings? i have a 99 rangers here at the moment, and i also have my 07 level 2 that has factory flairs on it

Tim, the 99 will work perfect. These wont work with stock flares of any type.

Best way to do this would be with a paper template, and just place it against the Explorer opening to see how close it follows the radius. But...

The only way I can think of doing it here is to go straight up from the center of the wheel to the fender, mark it. Then measure from the front end straight to the center mark. Then another measurement from the center to the back end bottom of the fender opening. One measurement from front bottom, to the rear bottom straight across for the width. Do the same for the rear opening. Can't get the radius like that, but it will tell me if it is close.

The Ex has the door as part of the rear opening, but I plan on cutting the flare for it, and attaching it to the door. Will be a split flare, but thats fine by me. These add 4" to the width, and that's what I need. Was hoping to have my Uncles front glass fenders for this, but I'm not sure that is going to happen or not.

No rush Tim, whenever is cool. Thanks! :)

your in luck. its still daylight, and im board as hell, so here we go.

Picture_001_Medium_1.jpg

(and yes, i pulled the mud flap back)

i went from the lowest point of the front of the fender, and pulled a line as strait as i could see. then i measured it. it was 23. haft of that is 11 1/2

Picture_002_Medium_1.jpg

from there (i dont know if this will help, so you might want to ignore it) going up to the bottom of the lip was 4 inches.

then i ran a line from center of the fender, to the center of the hub (in a perfect word, that should i think be centered on the fender as well) i measured it to the bottom of the fender to be 15 1/4.

Picture_004_Medium_1.jpg

then my computer erased the 2 other pics i had, so bare with me. :mad:

measuring from the bottom edge of the fender where it is level with the rocker, to the mark that was 15 1/4 was 19 1/2.

........does this help you? :dunno:

Yes that helps! Thanks a bunch Tim! :)

Could you measure one more thing?

You have the line going straight across the entire opening. Can you measure from the center of the line (middle) to the fender going up to measure the gap? Take it from the bottom of your tape as thats the point that is even with the front bottom.

Or is that the 4" measurement?

Got it, thanks again.

Hate to be a burden...lol, but are the rears the same or close to the same?

like do you mean as in the way it curves? if thats the question, that one i cant answer. i dont have a first gen in the fleet, and i think out of the two second gens i have, one has no fenders on it, and the other still has the flares on the fenders.

err 3 second gens, evils got flairs as well

I was meaning the measurements of the rears. I am not sure if they are the same as the fronts. Was wanting to compare both front & rear openings to the Ex.

I just checked the Ex. The openings are bigger than the Rangers. Across (doing as you did) measures at 27.5" across and the height from center line up to fender is 5.5". :(

So the Ranger flares wont fit on the Ex. They might make some for a Heep that are closer, I will call them and find out what they have that might work. :scratch:

Back