Ranger max. tire sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger max. tire sizes

...this is the suggested by me only, but do at your own risk, guide for only the bone stock ranger's...;)

...if you have a '92 or earlier ranger, i would follow this link and rely on the same information as the '91-'94 explorer's...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67200

93-97 2wd with 15x7 = 225/70/R15 Stock
235/75/R15 Plus One size up
255/70/R15 or 30x9.50/15 Plus Two sizes up

93-97 4wd with 15x7 = 235/75/R15 Stock
255/70/15 or 30x9.50/15 Plus One size up
265/75/15 or 31x10.50/15 Plus Two sizes up

98-02 regular 2wd with 15x7 = 225/70/R15 Stock
235/75/R15 Plus One size up
255/70/R15 or30x9.50/15 Plus Two size's up
265/75/15 or 31x10.50/15 Plus Three size's up
the 98-02 4x2 stock upgrade to 31x10.50x15, only on a 15x7 wheel, can be done though it will have minor rubbing...the other tire sizes are recommended with no rubbing ...

98-02 4wd or Sport/Edge/Trailhead with 15x7 = 235/75/15 Stock
255/70/15 or 30x9.50/15 Plus One size up
265/75/15 or 31x10.50/15 Plus Two sizes up
32x11.50/15 Plus 3 (minor rubbing possible)
33x10.50/15 Plus 4 (Minor rubbing under extreme flex)

With 16x7 = 245/75/16 Stock
265/75/R16 Plus One size up
275/70/R16 Plus One size up
285/75/R16 Plus Two sizes up

...if you have torsion bars you can do a torsion twist and generally fit 33x10.50's on with no rubbing...(search torsion twist)

...if you have the ifs ttb, there are several inexpensive ways to lift your stock truck posted on this forum if you wish to do so...good luck...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...thank you froader...:D

jimbo74 said:
i thought tbars was editing htis to include the 89-92 ranger which was very close to the 91-94 X
Maybe when he has the info he will add it...

oh its cool i was just saying... we actually talked about this earlier today in another thread, he said he was going to jsut use the info from the explroers for it and edit it.....

but for now, i will delete these 2 posts.... in a few minutes so its like it was never here

Yes, that was today so I'm sure he'll get to it when he can.

I Have A Stock 1988 Ranger. I Got 32 Inch Maxxis Buckshots But I Dont Think They'll Fit And I Dont Want The Tires To Go To Waste. Im Ready To Hit The Mud Again, Plus Im Almost Out Of Tread On The P.O.S A/T's Currentley On The Truck. I Want A Lift, But Not Too Big. Does anyone Know The Smallest Lift I Can Get To Fit The 32's?

im new here, and i was thinking of putting 33x9.5/15 on my 1999 Ranger XLT
i currently have 235/75/15 which is approx 28.8, would these tires be to big to mount on a bone stock ranger with no lift?

...Click the "How to" in my signature and look for "torsion twist for dummies"...They should fit then if your Ranger is 4wd and possibly if you are 2wd...;)

I had and 01 ranger with 32x11.5x15 with the torsion bars maxxed out as my only lift. I had some 15x8 aftermarket aluminum wheels. I dont know what the back spacing was, but I had no rub at all. the tires were mastercrafr courser at...

...Welcome here...:D

...I won't comment on a maxxed out torsion twist, but this would be a good time to comment on tire sizes from maufacturers...

...When reading these charts there are always variables and tire manufacturer's make different size tires from what the "Call out" is on the tire...One manufacturer can make a 32 under one name of tire and it will be 32" in overall diameter...The same manufacturer can have another 32" tire that is only 31" tall...

...Some maufacturer tires are callout size or even taller...A 32" can actually be 32.4"..;)

...For example only: Mastercraft courser MT 32x11.50 is 31.4" tall and not 32"....Tire width can also be varied the same way...The same tire section width 11.4" while it's tread width is only 9" wide...

...BFG AT/KO tires are similar...31.7" tall and tire section width 11.4", on 9" tread width...

...A Super Swamper TSL 33" tire's overall diameter is 33.5" tall...

...This is a good place to find some other tire info as per your particular truck tires found on the left side of the page...
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/BFG-All-Terrain-TA-KO.htm

i could not get you tbars

Will you please explain what you telling about ..

...What exactly would be your question???

..and I'm not sure how you tried to contact me and were not able to get me...:scratch:...But I'm here and will be glad to answer your question..

Two Sizes Up

Forgive me for my ignorance...but what exactly does Two Sizes Up mean?

...For an example:

...If your Ranger came stock with 29" tires and the chart says you can go 1 size up, these means that you could put 30" tires on with minimal to no rubbing at all...

...The above chart shows what your Ranger came with stock and it is simplified by also saying what size tires would fit...This is referenced as 1 size up or 2 sizes up...

...I hope this helps...

Hey There

So seeing as a ranger and a explorer or essentially the same thing......would LT265/75R16 fit on my stock 1998 Ford Explorer 2dr 4wd, from the ground to the bottom of my wheel flare is 34" with the P255 and the truck on solid flat ground, i still have about 7" of height from the top of the tire to the bottm of the flare..... My stock tire size is P255/70R16....i've been told by many people that the LT265 tires will rub when i hit a bump and turn.....others say that they will fit fine, then others say they will only rub when i turn full steer.....can someone please confirm what will happen??

so again my STOCK tire size is P255/70R16 and i want to put on LT265/75R16, don't care too much if they only rub when i turn sharply....i just don't want them rubbing when i go over a bump...

Thanks Guys.

Cheford

Ranger tire size

I have a 1998 Ranger 4x4 extended cab flared fender and stock wheels were 16" , I went to a 245 85R 16 truck tire and have never rubbed, rides a bit stiff with 10 ply tires but never real complained off road as tire ride off road is hard to detect! lol

anyone know what a 2wd 06 ranger could fit stock? buddy was asking

So seeing as a ranger and a explorer or essentially the same thing......would LT265/75R16 fit on my stock 1998 Ford Explorer 2dr 4wd, from the ground to the bottom of my wheel flare is 34" with the P255 and the truck on solid flat ground, i still have about 7" of height from the top of the tire to the bottm of the flare..... My stock tire size is P255/70R16....i've been told by many people that the LT265 tires will rub when i hit a bump and turn.....others say that they will fit fine, then others say they will only rub when i turn full steer.....can someone please confirm what will happen??

so again my STOCK tire size is P255/70R16 and i want to put on LT265/75R16, don't care too much if they only rub when i turn sharply....i just don't want them rubbing when i go over a bump...

Thanks Guys.

Cheford

Hey I have an 07 with 265-70-17 with a 2.5 inch lift and it rubbed at 3/4 turn. On the black plastic cover on the wheel well. I would hesitate to say that 265-75 would fit stock without alot of rub. im guessing 1/2 turn to start rubbing. If you know anyone that has 265-75's i would do a test fit. cuz if you dont feel like doing any trimming or at least 5+"s to the plastic cover i would go down a size. My size converts to 32 x 10.5.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a little digging to find out what, exactly, was needed to install larger tires on my new Ranger. After speaking at length with the dudes at the dealership (Ganley Ford in Barberton, Oh - great bunch of people) I got the complete 411. In order to install 265/75/R16 tires on a stock 2011 4x4 chassis the following things need to be done:

1) Computer recalibrated to account for change in tire diameter/ rotational speed.
2) Tire pressure monitoring system (if equipped) must be recalibrated.
3) Alignment.

Cost: Approximately $300

If all of these things are done properly I was assured that the factory warranty would not be voided...but then they may have just been trying to sell me a truck (which they successfully accomplished). YMMV and if they are doing the service, get it in writing. Hope this helps and thanks to Tbars4 for pointing me to this thread!

Back