and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ranger Supercab rear doors stuck

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by -=db=-, May 29, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. -=db=-

-=db=- New Member

City, State:
      Wilton NH
      Year and Model:
      1992 Explorer
      Hey all,
      My '99 stepside supercab Ranger has a problem. The rear doors won't open. It looks like it's the lower lock mechanism that's not releasing. I loosened the door panel and used a mirror to see the mechanism inside the door. The cable is moving but it won't release the latch. I sprayed it all with WD-40 and left it soak for a few days but it didn't help.

Anyone run into this? How did you fix it?

The top of the rear doors seem to be releasing ok but I can't get them to close tightly so my "Door Ajar" is stuck on.

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. YAMBIG

YAMBIG Member

City, State:
      Turners Falls Massachusetts
      Year and Model:
      91 XLT 4x4
      I'm sure you must have tried pushing and pulling on the doors while trying the handle. I would next try to get to the latch mechanism with a screwdriver or small prybar and try to pop it manualy. If your 99 is the same as my 2000 which I'm pretty sure it is, you probably can't get the door panel all of the way off. Try going in through that rubber plug you can see on the bottom when you open up the front door. Out of curiosity,,,, how did they both doors get stuck in the first place? Sorry, but I had to ask!

4. -=db=-

-=db=- New Member

City, State:
      Wilton NH
      Year and Model:
      1992 Explorer
      Not really sure how they got stuck, it was like that when I bought it off my brother. It looks like the latch mechanism on the inside bottom of the rear doors have rusted in place with the doors closed (don't know how water got in). The cable that runs the latch moves but the latch won't release. If I can get the doors open, I'm hoping I can unbolt the mechanisms and replace them.
      Also, it's hard to find a rear bumper for the stepside Rangers. Still, not bad for $500.