Ranger to Explorer Front end swap project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger to Explorer Front end swap project

Ive been watning to do the explorer swap on my ranger even before i started building my ranger a few years ago, im not sure why i never did it but this week I covinced myself that if i want it done i jsut got to do it.. so i fiqured why not make a thread on the swap cause im sure some people would be interested in seeing it done. Keep in mind the truck has probably only been painted this way for less that four months now:eek:

Started with a a realtively stock ranger front end, diamond corners and headlights and a billet grill, only bolt on mods but nothing really too labor intensive
n026.jpg

Yesterday went to the junkyard and started getting parts i would need to do this swap, since that would be the cheapest way to get the parts and also give me a oem apperence over buying the not so perfect :thumbdwn: aftermarket parts

picked up a passenger fender form a 99 4 door and a driver fender from 00 sport for $75 for the pair. Both had pretty good damage but it wasnt important becasue the very front of the fenders were stragiht and that would be all i was using anyway
2007_0218misc0074.jpg

The hardest thing to find was a non dammaged header panel from a 2nd gen explorer. i found many 1st gen front ends and even a couple mountaineer front ends in both styles but only came by one undamgaged header panel from a 01 4 door and it still had a set of good condition headlights so i bought those too. The header panel and headlights came to be $78 i had the grill in my basement that i bought along a time ago when i first wanted to do this swap i think that was $5 at a swap meet
2007_0218misc0075.jpg

that would be enough for now to do the hard part of the swap and get everything lined up right and looking good.

So today i started the actual swap first thing was diasembling the ranger, removing the header panel, lights, and bumper
2007_0218misc0073.jpg

2007_0218misc0076.jpg

now that everything was stripped i cut off just the very front of the ranger fenders where the header panel mounts, and the very front of the explorer fender about 2 inches or so back into the fender. making sure not to take to much out of the fender rangers fender or not leave enough on the explorer fenders. i left the explorer fenders alone for the most part and kept trimming back the ranger fenders until the tips of the explorer fenders met with the very tip of the ranger fender and the lower line of the fenders where they meet the bumper are even..mkaing sure the whole time not to cut our more of the ranger fender then i had explorer fender to fill the hole

trimmed ranger fender with explorer fender overlaped over it to position properly before final cutting could be done. i temporarily held the pieces on wiht a clamp and a screw up top which you can make out in the one pic...the hole form the screw will jsut be welded up in the explorer fender but will be cut out of the ranger fender inthe next step

2007_0218misc0079.jpg

one of our dogs was a lil to interested in the project:confused:
2007_0218misc0078.jpg

with the fender peices clamped and screwed together i could maunt to the header panel temporarily to check for fit and it bolted right up and aligned fine, with the lower front fender bolts out to allow some play in the front of the fender
2007_0218misc0080.jpg

everything fit with the header panel well so i closed the hood and ran into the first problem i had:mad:. the hood fit fine as far as bottom of hood to top of header gap, but the curve on the ranger hood is much flatter then the curve of the explorer header panel. sorry i was busy trying to fiqure out what to do and forgot to take pics:banghead:. but then i looked over at my 97 explorer and fiqured id take some measurements....turns out the ranger and explorer hoods are the same width and the same length at the fenders so they fit the same hole. so i took the hood off my explorer and sat it on the ranger and it fit fine and lined up perfect with the grille curve. the only problem was that the hinge bolts are in deffernt places but i will address that later when i get a used explorer hood since my daily needs a hood and i cant use that one:D

only other problem i ran into is that the mounting brackets for the header panel on the core support are simmilar but not exactly the same as the ranger ones so i will either modify mine to work or get explorer brackets and modify them to mount to the core support
2007_0218misc0081.jpg

with that said i removed the fenders formt he truck and got ready for the next step of mating the explorer fenders seamlessly to the ranger fenders.
i left the pieces i cut form the explorer fenders on the ranger fenders and basically grabbed a sharpie and traced those onto the ranger fenders and then cut out the excess ranger fender..ther wasnt much to it....all the contours form both fenders match up pretty well and should be a breeze to body work

i ground everything down and got ready to weld and had no welding gas so you all will have to wait a few days for the rest...

both fenders cut ready to weld
2007_0218misc0082.jpg

dont be afraid to ask any ?? you may have i know this post lacks in some areas but it should give a good idea about this process and ill have more pics and progress in a few days when i can get back to it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you...thank you....hopefully i have a finished product real soon.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

the hood gonna be painted not really all that different then it was before except i think the graphic will be more bold to take the line from the pass side to the middle.....i only split it way far to the pass side becuase frankly i lilke the copper better, and i think explorer front ends look good monotone and didnt wanna break it up...if i reused the old hood i would just split it down the middle..but since i have to get a new hood anyway..i fiqured i'd just add more copper....but im still working on idea for a more interesting split for the line that still matches wiht the rear one enough...

I'd say do it the same as you had it, just make it more copper on top to match your lines from the roof to the grill.

Attachments

• RangerHood.jpg
    RangerHood.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2,425

that is almost exaclty what one of the ideas i have in my head looks like-lol thanks for bringing to life...i can draw roughly but can never really even do anyhting even as simple as that with any color...i tend to never see my ideas till their painted-lol..kinda the guy whole can lay sick flames but cant draw them-lol

Amazing work.

havent gotten alot of progress this week..but i did get my corner lights from scruff and i pulled the pigtials for the corner lights out of a seriously rolled over explorer we towed in at work. i got the lights wired up and working, i have to get bulbs tommorow but ill snap some pics when i get everythiing in tommorow

installed the corners lights i picked up from scruff for $30 and the pigtails last night..got everything fitting and working real well...this weeknd its back to the junkyard to find a hood and hopefully a bumper so i can wrap this project up
DSCF0404.jpg

DSCF0405.jpg

I can't wait to see what bumper setup you are thinking about. All I see is ssssscccrrrrrraaappppeeee :thumbsup:

your nuts...thats a pretty impresive swap..keep up the good work.

all i want bumper wise is the style off the newer model 2nd gen...like the 99-01 xlt bumpers that came either flat grey on the xls..or painted or painted with the chrome corners on the xlt'...i know im goin to paint it arizona beige to match the two tone... but i dont know if wanna try to find one with chrome of wihtout...i quess it wahtever i come across first since im not partial either way...so if aynone has one lying around that wants to work something out im all ears

Man that looks fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!
How about a side view of the fenders ?

( I wanna chack your mud work ;) )

ohh ill get some side views of the fenders the ones on here the light plays wiht it a lil..but ill find a shot to prove their stragiht as they really are-lol...i picked up a hood this weekend so ill get some pics of that and the steps to modify it work on the ranger..as soon as i can get away from the other project i got slowly but surely coming together in my garage-lol

are you going to put an explorer bumper on there or Ranger ?

the plan is to put an exploder bumper on it exactly like the style that is on your ex..except im going to paint it arizona beige to match my two tone..and may find one with the chrome corners......still looking if anyones got one:D ive found the aftermarket ebay ones..which is prolly ok for this aplication but i'm going to exhaust some more oem options first-lol

Great work! Looks awesome.

I think you will be scraping if you put on a 99-01 Explorer bumper. lol

thats kinda the plan....i believe that without the very lower black pastic valance it should fit in there just perfect but if its totally to tall...ill just work with an older x bumper or maybe modify my ranger bumper?..ill fiqure that out if it becomes a problem:D

have had to put this project on the back burner for a week or a so because of my buddys truck...but tonight i got the hood, i picked up for $40, cleaned up of all the junkyard writing and i got the rear support of the hood cut out so that it will clear my motor. that part wouldn't be neccesary in a stock truck..but since my engine is three inches higher then normal i have to seciton out parts of the hood to get it to clear the engine:cool:

hood i found realtively good shape just a few dings and scrapes
DSCF0408.jpg

and these pictures kinda show how i cut out the bulk of the rear support in the middle..i still need to clean it up and make it a lil more flowing, but its just basically a square cut out of the rail to clear the engine
DSCF0409.jpg

DSCF0410.jpg

didnt get a chance to test fit it on the truck since its real cold outside:thumbdwn: ...but hopefully tommorow it will get test fitted and ill find out what kind of hinge/latch modifications, if any, it will need to functiuon properly on the ranger.

Looks awsome so far, I can't wait to see the end result.

I hate to come across as a day late but, www.explorerexpress.com had a cowl induction hood that would look baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad on your truck.

Back