Ranger Winch Bumper fits Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger Winch Bumper fits Explorer?

99SportX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ex & Mounty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know Eric, but find out if the front bumpers will swap for other 98-2011 Rangers. The frame horn is what the bumper bolts to, and those Rangers have the same suspension and frame shape in general.

99Frontframe.jpg

ARCModule 053.jpg

The frame horns are the same but the top of the ranger frame to the bottom of header panel is about 2.5" higher on the ranger vs explorer. So unless you have a body lift it wouldn't be bolt on and line up perfect.

i put a Ranger winch bumper on my 99 Explorer,, it was almost a direct bolt on, it's in the middle of my avatar

Ok, so what i'm gathering here is that from an overall width and mounting pattern standpoint, it will fit. I may need to just drill new holes or mod the mounting plates some to get the height right. That's not too bad. I don't mind doing a little cutting and welding. I
just really don't want to build an entire bumper from scratch at the moment.

The frame horns are the same but the top of the ranger frame to the bottom of header panel is about 2.5" higher on the ranger vs explorer. So unless you have a body lift it wouldn't be bolt on and line up perfect.

That's good information. If the bumper you get has a decent sized mounting surface, maybe you can drill new holes an inch higher in it, and the frame horn can take lower holes, by enough to make it fit well. Moving the bumper mounts downward will increase leverage on the bolts and bracketry etc. I think it may end up just needing another bracket to brace each side, from the bottom of the bumper, up and back to the frame, behind the horn, along the side of the frame. It sounds like a basic alteration.

Turdle found another option that I have now ordered. It is a weld together winch bumper kit designed specifically for the 2nd gen explorer.

Awesome. I'm excited to start fitting it up!

Back