RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

Any smooth body you buy these days has an external resi :)
its the size that counts.
2.0 Smoothies would be plenty for the rear end on the BII, for trails and what not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Deaver leaf packs ordered...they will be custom manufacturing me ones with 8 or 9 leafs per side, $750 ouch! They took a $200 deposit.

Does anyone know if the extended brake line kits for a '90 - '94 X will work on the 2nd gens? I was looking at the Pro Comp or Skyjacker ones on jackit.com for the 1st gen. They don't seem to have anything specifically for the 2nd gen.

From what I understand the rear of the 1st and 2nd gen Xs are the same?

r37ribution said:
Deaver leaf packs ordered...they will be custom manufacturing me ones with 8 or 9 leafs per side, $750 ouch! They took a $200 deposit.
oh boy your gonna love those, mine were 550 but worth every penny once you see how they handle off road, as for brake lines i know i ordered some custom extended ones off or precisionbrakes.com (i believe). you just tell them what kind of car it is and how much you want the extended

why do you guys buy extended rear lines? I dont get it :)
You can simply re-locate the factory drop point and get all teh travel you need from the stock line. Mine hangs in the air and I have never had any issues, it looks the same as it did the day I installed the 8.8 years ago

BigDave ~ which brake lines did you order from them? They can't figure out which lines I need for the rear. I guess the computer doesn't give a very good description of the rear. From what I can see the line going to the axle is about 11" long and then goes into a y where there is another 6-7" of line (cannot be disconnected from the y) which connects to the driverside caliper. The other part of the y is female and the hard line that runs along the axle to the passenger side connects to it.

410Fortune said:
why do you guys buy extended rear lines? I dont get it :)
You can simply re-locate the factory drop point and get all teh travel you need from the stock line. Mine hangs in the air and I have never had any issues, it looks the same as it did the day I installed the 8.8 years ago

yeah, i just bent my factory bracket down and it gave me all the slack i need...
here it is at full droop after my SOA:

img_1508.jpg

Yeah I ended up taking that bracket off completely and bending the hard line a little bit, much like what you did Nick26. I would like to reinstall that bracket, straighten the hard line and use braided lines all around since I have them in the front.

Since my leafs won't be much higher than stock Deaver recommended installing bump stops so the leafs don't invert as this will shorten their life span. Well, I have some decent size bump stops that came with the RCD lift for the rear that I think will work nicely...

Why get extended brake lines you ask? I want braided all around and if I'm going to replace the lines then I might as well "do it right". That and I really didn't like the idea of bending the hard line and exposing it out below the frame like what was needed to get it to work.

by the way i only have extended front ones not rears, i did what 410 said

Argh!!! you guys are killin me!

Ok I got a guy from Precision Brakes looking into my options.

I looked at the Camburg web site and the shackles they have for the Ranger require cutting the bed. Has anyone used the Camburg shackles? How much cutting is required?

Ok scratch that last post. I forgot the Ranger's shackles are completely different from the X.

I just got off the phone with Camburg and they said their shackles are about 1 1/2" longer than stock and require no cutting. They run $220 per pair hand made. They will raise the height of the X about 1".

I think I will install the Deaver leafs first since Deaver thinks they will put me up another inch or so and see if I can afford to go up another 1 1/2" in the rear. I don't want the front to be 3" lower than the rear!

If you go with some shackles I would get the Warrior ones. They are very beaffy and are ALOT cheaper.

Eric

Definately second the warriors.

You might call Deaver and ask them what length of shackles you need minimum. To get the full travel out of your new leaves you will need longer shackles. Just any old shackles won't neccessarilly do. Once you get the minimum length needed for full travel, then anything over that is considered lift. It would be a waste of your $700 for new springs to not let them perform at their full potential. (ok, not a complete waste, but you wouldn't get your full 'value' out of them) :p

whats the difference between the RCD kit and the Dixon Bros kit, i see that the rcd kit is also a lift of 5.5" but the dixon bros kit the way i read it on their site there's no lift and it makes it 4" wider

The dixon Brothers kit is a long travel kit. It will add minimal lift but it will almost double your suspension travel and make it ride like a dream over rough ground. The RCD kit will help to an extent but travel more or less remains the same. The RCD kit is like other lift kits in the it lowers the front differential to gain lift. The RCD kist uses coilovers but the stock suspension arms and axles. The Dixon kit basically replaces the whole front end (minus differential) with a custom engineered racing suspension.

The Dixon Brothers kit could be tuned for some lift (prolly no more then 2 or 3" reasonably) but that is the point. It is intended to keep the truck low and use fiberglass flares to fit bigger tires.

I am pretty sure the Doxon bro kit can work with 2-6" of lift.
It comes with custom CV axles.
This is like Apples to oranges.

I mean I understand researching all of your options, with 4wd IFS here they are:
torsion twist
Superlift
RCD
Dixon bros

of course
Solid Axle Swap

You get what you pay for.
The RCD is a GREAT lift, so is the Superlift, but none of these 4 can really be compared to each other, as they are all completely different from one another.

The Dixon bro's kit is the first to hit the market for the ranger platform 4wd IFS, there will be others to follow, you can count on that.

the choice you make for which lift is right for you should depend mostly on what you plan to use the truck for, how long you plan to keep it, and how much $$$ you can spend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i could combine the 4" superlift and the Dixon bros long arm kit

Back