RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

Did you do that all yourself? Can the average joe build that himself? Just curious...

Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, did all of it myself, I have no prior experience at all, just picked up a welder, some metal, and went to town. I didnt calculate anything, just did what I thought was correct. just like playing with an erector set.

Chris

lizardtrac,

Yea, that is a little unfair. That is A LOT of custom fab work and beyond the reach of the average "shadetree" mechanic.

Yet, it does kicka$$. :D

Robb

I posted way back in the begining of this thread, b4 I did my SAS, I just dont understand why someone would spend over $2k on a kit that dont do that much, when for the same amount or maybe a bit more if you have someone else do it, have a 100% stronger front end, Jusy saying if I was in the business, I would concentrate on makeing a kit like this for the SAS.

You're front end looks good for sure but I'm sure you built it with a purpose in mind. I for one wouldn't do a SAS cause it's not functional for what I like to do. I also wouldn't run the RCD kit if it did fit my vehicle cause it also does not do what I want to do. It's a 5-6" lift kit that will give you a better then stock ride on the road and give you better performance in the dirt. It might not be a trophy truck blasting through the desert or a rock crawling/flexing champ but it will hold it's own. A lot of people think that travel and articulation are everything. They don't realize that for instance in desert racing a quality setup with 12" of bind free functional travel is capable of destroying some of the guys that are getting 18" of travel that doesn't work well. Numbers aren't everything, quality has a lot to do with it. Some people want a SAS, some want a RCD, I want a cut and turned TTB widened with coilovers, bumps, bypass shocks, heimed radius arms and on and on. My ultimate front end would probably be close to $8000. That's my choice, your's was a $1500 SAS and others may be an unknown priced RCD kit.

BTW I don't know if I posted this earlier but the first kits for release to stores are in production. The only thing I foresee maybe delaying release is the availability of shocks. We've already ordered them a while ago but they are also a pain in the ass to get in high quantities.

After getting stuck in mud today and spending about 2 hours getting unstuck. I definitely know I need a suspension lift or SAS.
Of course I want SAS, but I'll need to get a 2nd vehicle first to drive, while the truck is out of action for the SAS work. And I'm sure I can't afford the type of SAS that Rick and Fakrwee have. Mine would be more along the line of what Lizardtrac has done. I just need to find a place that can do it for me. I don't have those skills.

Outta curiosity what would a lift have done better for you today? Aren't you already on 33's? I know you've got the nicest ST I've seen. Would it have been more clearance or what? I mean the only way to get your axle up is bigger tires and I thought you were already pretty big.

Khris

Kris,

Yeah, a lift wouldn't have benefited terribly too much. For getting stuck in the mud I would have needed bigger tires to get better axle clearance. Being on 35" tires, I'm pushing the limits of an IFS front end. Now, if I had a solid axle in the front I could more easily handle bigger tires and maybe not get hungup in the mud ruts.
As it stands right now I could probably clear 38" tires, but I don't think the stock IFS steering components will handle them to well. :shoot:

Eating Mud
Dead Link Removed

How muddy was your face after that picture?

Originally posted by sirhk100
How muddy was your face after that picture?
This Muddy! :rolleyes:
Dead Link Removed

Oh man, that's great!!! Couldn't ask for a better reply...

Golden rule, never go wheeling alone. Unless you have a whole lotta recovery equipment. :D

John, I take it you do a lot of exploring alone. Even with larger tires, suspension, and articulation, someone can still get stuck. I'd invest in a winch <sp?> first, then rear locker if you don't already have one, and then, when time and money is available do the suspension.

Hey, how did you stack on Ricks tire at T-Have, that was bad ass, was it hard?

Ron, It was easy to stack on Rick's tire because I'm locked front and rear. Of course I broke a CV joint the last day of wheeling at Thaven because of being locked in the front with a Powertrax. It would help to have an Atlas II like Jefe to be able to easily be in 2lo. Anyway, that's why the mud gave me a harder time than it should have. I was short one driving wheel. It's my own fault, I had the new CV sitting in the garage, but didn't get to installing it the previous day. It worked good this last weekend at Shiloh Ridge here in Texas though. We missed you at the Jan. Thaven run!

Cya,
John

any prices yet on this RCD kit??? Its March!!!!

Desert Rat

I was in a Phoenix Desert Rat store yesterday getting some shocks and saw an advertisement for the new RCD suspension system. I asked the salesperson if it was in stock and he said yes!
I promptly pulled out my credit card and then the guy could not find any information what so ever.

He knew nothing about it other than what was on the brochure it turned out when he finally decided to be honest. I think he was a little POed at me because I would not give him my home address during my purchase...

There was however a nice early model lifted Explorer in the lot that belonged to an employee...

So the RCD suspension is being advertised, but the outlets have no knowledge of it other than a color brochure so far.

so did you buy one, or was it not really in stock? how much are they advertising it for?

Well you guys will have to ask Khris when it will be out, all I know is that it is very soon. Doesn't my truck look perty on the RCD brochure? :D

--Sean

Pretty truck...

Nice brochure indeed!

The salesperson did not have any pricing or other information at all. Just the brochure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Johnstone
Sean, Any problems lately with the lift?

Just dealing with the aftermath of the same old bent bracket issues. It ended up effing up the housing. So there will be an optional brace for the housing that will prevent the pressed (only) axle tube from flexing independantly of the housing and popping out like mine did (thats why I lost a passenger-side CV in AZ). Although, I am sure that is overkill, since I am positive my housing gave up the ghost due to the original T-haven bracket issue.

I got Jefe's old housing and we welded up the axle tube since I had the case out and empty. While I was at it I transferred all of my new internals to his housing and regeared to 4.56s.

Because of all the "issues" I went through, anyone who buys the RCD kit is going to have a much stronger product. I should get my truck back in the next couple days and we have a 4 day Death Vally trip coming up to test everything out. As always, I will give a trip report and let you know if everything is now bueno.

--Sean

Back