RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

Just wondering on the progress.
Any realistic timeframe of when this will be hitting actual statewide avalibility? I know the price is probably not going to be know for a while more, but is it progressing along?
This sure would be alot better than a 4" IFS lift. :D
-----Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nah.. i don't think it actually exists. it was all just a silly prank. similar to the electrac and the e-locker. just teasers.
j/k guys.. i'd like to know the progress as well though

i was just going back through this thread and pulled this quote out. it made me laugh..

"RCD told me last week that the kits will be available in Spring (been pushed back a bit). "

that was posted Nov 12, 2001. :D

Technical Article in July 2003 Off-Road mag

OK, Off-Road did a b&w illustrated install of the RCD kit, which they described as a 5" lift kit. My only question is about the new knuckles and whether they are the same as the 2nd Gen Explorer given the difference in the Ranger's hubs (i.e. they have hubs). Since my wife mentioned again yesterday lifting her truck, this is good news.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Re: Technical Article in July 2003 Off-Road mag

Originally posted by briantf
My only question is about the new knuckles and whether they are the same as the 2nd Gen Explorer given the difference in the Ranger's hubs (i.e. they have hubs).

There is no difference in the hubs besides the 98-99 rangers with the plastic pulse vacuum hubs. 2000+ ranger hubs are the same as 95+ explorer hubs.

LOL I love our marketing department!!! I'm the one that tells them when our kits will be ready. Until I say something they are in the dark. I will admit that I told them they would be ready in April. We found some VERY last minute problems that we've worked out fixes for. We just want this kit to be released and be the best on the market. Our marketing department I swear just throughs out dates that they think are realistic without even knowing what goes into the development and production of the kit. This kit is not a myth!!! I could take photos of PILES of parts sitting here painted and ready to be painted. We've just last week finally recieved the first shippment (VERY LIMITED) of shocks that were ordered ages ago!!! (I'm the production engineer and crossover into developement) My current timeline (Not marketing's) is that we'll be ready to ship the first 25 kits to distributors end of June. If not, PM me and kick my ass cause I honestly see this as realistic. After those first 25 kits go out, we'll be sitting on parts for another 125 kits but don't have shocks. As soon as the rest of our order comes in we'll be good to go. If you guys seriously do buy one let me know ASAP how the install goes and any problems or complaints you have. This is our most extreme kit we've built and working with Sean has helped us (although at times a pita) work out bugs that we didn't even foresee cause of his extreme use. WE WANT FEEDBACK ON THIS KIT cause we're holding off on the next manufaturing run till we a hear response from this first batch of 150 kits produced. I would expect a price to be available within 3 weeks. Don't PM me and hold me on this though cause after tomorrow it's outta my hands and I have no control over pricing at all. I just provide some info and they figure out prices. But, figuring on when our 1st kits may be ready for release I'd expect prices soon...

Is that enough info? Please don't call marketing and say, you heard all this from some inside guy blah blah blah. They don't like me doing this but you guys have been SUPER patient with us and I personally think you guys deserve some info...

One other note for Explorer owners... We still are not marketing this kit to you. We still don't officially recomend it. We still have not even fit tested on an explorer. But caugh caugh.. The rear of this kit may work for you. It's not gonna include what you all think it will, or at leat what I think you've heard it will. (I didn't say that though so don't hold me responsible or say "you heard it will fit on the explorer". If someone that has a decent measuring tape, is actually interested in this kit for the exploder and wants to do some logical work wants, I can PM the info on our rear kit and you can compare my numbers to what's stock and see if it looks like it'll work... I don't want our actual numbers on our kit all over yet but you can just say... "yeah it may work" or "no way in hell will it work" from what you find.)

will this rcd kit work for a 2001 2-sport? sorry if this has already been answered i didnt want to read all 23 pages

HMMMM....

One other note for Explorer owners... We still are not marketing this kit to you. We still don't officially recomend it. We still have not even fit tested on an explorer

YOU CAN USE MINE!:D

Man, if I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that...;)

Boy oh boy! I ignored this thread after the first few pages, and that was about a year ago. Now I read the article in Off-Road on the suspension install and come back here. I should have stuck with the thread so Iwasn't so far behind!

I'm definitely interested. Looks great. Hopefully I'll be able to get this kit towards the end of August/early Spetember. If no one else has posted a write up of the install, I certainly will. I'm going to take lots of pictures anyway, since I'll be swapping a V8 at the same time.

BTW, it's not on the RCD website. Is there any place that has official info on it?

Well I just got a reply from Ken Yoder at RCD, and he said that they are currently testing hte kit on several vehicles, and will have it ready soon. He's going to be sinding me the info as soon as it's finalized. Looks good, looks real good.

Also spoke to Perry McNeil Jr. about some nice fenders to help show off this sweet suspension! Man my wallet is itching!

I don't know about "official" info on it... email Ken back and ask him to mail you a flyer on it. That install is the complete kit as it will ship without one VERY last minute machined piece. We will have a limited run available soon with a lot more to follow quickly.
Just some more current info for those interested...

If someone wants to PM me that's willing to take a couple measurements off their stock Exploder I can probably tell you if the rear of our kit will most likely fit the Exploder as well.

Once again though, we don't market to the Exploders and have never test fit anything!!!!

;)

Ummm, yeah that.... I still don't know... I'm not in the loop on that one. I'm finalizing the instructions litterally right now. If there's mistakes, it's my fault, sorry...:D I'm guessing marketing is SLAMMING them for the pricing so I would expect it later this week or begining of next....

Originally posted by sirhk100
...email Ken back and ask him to mail you a flyer on it...

Once again though, we don't market to the Exploders and have never test fit anything!!!!

I already did that. :D He said he was going to send it out to me.

As for the Explorer thing, I'm sure many of us already have "non-sanctioned" items on them.:p Anyhow, since I don't have a Ranger handy to use for comparison, I've been going over the pictures in the article and the suspension on my X, as well as Chilton's manuals, and it seems like it should go on with relatively little hassle. Looks very promising.

Let us know once you get a price on this kit! Thanks.

At one point we had an Exploder on the rack here for other purposes and I went out with a tape measure and got some rude measurements off it. The front end looks to be no problem. At one point our rear kit wasn't going to do anything for you though cause it was using lift blocks. Not no more though!!! We ditched those in favor of a lift shackle and Add-A-Leaf... I'm not sure if the ranger shackle mount and leafs are the same width so that the shackle could be used. If someone wanted to meaure them I could tell you if our shackle should fit or not...

But, once again, "This RCD kit is not intended for use on Exploders"

Khris

But, once again, "This RCD kit is not intended for use on Exploders"

Are you trying to tell us something?

Anyhow, the rear isn't an issue with me as I've already got the parts for that, so I'd be doing the front only...

...that is unless you have a rear coilover setup in the works... ;)

LOL, nope I can guarentee there's not c/o rear in the skunkworkz going on around here. Could you imagine how long it would take us to get that built and shipping!;)

I'm not saying anything other then RCD doesn't recomend it for the Exploders (uhmm, but it sure looked to measure about the same as the one I saw unmmm you didn't hear that though!!!)

Nothing to see here, move along!!!

How about the 2WD guys? Is there front end the same as the newer 2WD (non-edge) Rangers?

Does the kit (for Rangers, of course, not Explorers) include rear shocks? Also, is there going to be a front only kit available? I've already got a set of shackles and add-a-leafs in my closet, and don' t need another set in there. :confused: If there is a front only kit, which shock would you recommend for the rear to give comperable rebound/damping characteristics?

Don't ask me why but it's RCD's policy to sell only complete kits. Our kits come with everything needed to lift the vehicle. Rear shocks are in the kit. As far as size and stroke for an Explorer, I'm not sure if they'll be the same. The valving may be off also because the shock is actually custom valved by Bilstein for the application which is obviously the rear of a Ranger, not Explorer...

The rear shock P/N for Bilsteins rear shock on our kit is

BE5-A092-T5

I'm not sure if your local shop can order those or if you have to go through us or Bilstein directly. We've got a relationship with them and some of their shocks that have been developed for our kits are only distributed through us...

As for an off the wall shock, I could get you the ext. length and stroke of the shock. You could cross reference it to see if you can find something comparable. Obviously I'm going to say go with a Bilstein but from reading on here sounds like the Edelbrock shock is a great choice as well. In the rear of my personal Exploder (old TTB style) I'm running a custom valved set of Bilstein 7100 race shocks with reservoirs and they handle insanely good onroad and off!!!! Took me 2 different rebuilds on the valving to dial them in and a lot of playing with the Nitrogen pressure in them but now they are to die for!!!

Khris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the rear of my personal Exploder (old TTB style) I'm running a custom valved set of Bilstein 7100 race shocks with reservoirs and they handle insanely good onroad and off!!!!

That sounds like it might be the way to go. Is there an upgrade available for the fronts? I'd like to be able to tune both front and rear. Plus remote reservoirs just look damn cool! :p

Back