RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !! | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD RANGER 4" coilover kit for "4x4" !!

Originally posted by sirhk100
How about the 2WD guys? Is there front end the same as the newer 2WD (non-edge) Rangers?
The Explorer frame is the same 2wd or 4wd, so yes, the kit would work. However the 2wd spindle is different, so you'd have to get 4wd parts to bolt on to the lift spindle (hub, rotor(?), and the outer CV cup to hold the hub together [like i'm currently running]) and obviously wouldn't need the diff drop down bracketry that Sean had you guys working so hard on. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If someone wants to PM me that's willing to take a couple measurements off their stock Exploder I can probably tell you if the rear of our kit will most likely fit the Exploder as well.
I'm pretty sure the Ranger and Explorer shackles are different. Besides it'd be so much nicer to just go SOA to match the fronts 5" of lift.

We originally wanted to run reservoirs up front but with the position of the factory shock mount and us wanting to retain that as the mounting location for the c/o the nipple area that the reservoir hose threads onto would contact the upper control arm at full bump and break it off in a hard hit. Not too good... There's always a way but it would've been too much custom fab for the normal guy or install shop to deal with. As far as upgrade, the front shock is already a pretty *****in shock. I'm pretty sure you'll be stoked with the performance of it. I don't think Sean has had any problems at all with his and our production shock is even better then his preproduction shock (sorry sean!!!)

Thanks for the info on the 2WD vs. 4WD kit... Yeah, Sean tested us pretty good with his truck... I think we got all that taken care of in the production kit though thanks to him destroying a couple of our "weaker" parts...:D

Why do you say that about the SOA? I had a SOA on my Explorer originally and went back to SUA when I got my race pack. The SOA seems to get decent spring wrap and has sort of a boaty feel to it. You do gain ground clearence though so that's a plus but for what I do a home made spring plate skidplate is sufficient enough...

Khris

? on the rear lift

I have the OME rear springs that give me 2" over stock,
would it look goofy with shackles to match the front's 5"
of lift ?.
just trying to Field some options.

That would probably work out perfect!!! That is assuming it fits the Explorer... We don't recommend it though!!!!;)

this is sounding better and better !
hopefully,the 1st of the Explorer Sport installs should be able to tell us if we need driveshaft mods or not ?

when is this kit coming available ?,this thread has grown a few servers already !

We SERIOUSLY should be shipping the first run of kits in about 2 weeks if not less...

Khris

If you guys are shipping in two weeks, then it would make since that a price has been established?

good point !

Originally posted by Robb
If you guys are shipping in two weeks, then it would make since that a price has been established?

the price surely has been established if shipment of product is happening in 2 weeks.....

LOL, you would think so huh... Don't know what's up with that. You wouldn't believe how many kits we've sold without a price even attached...

Khris

??????

LOL, you would think so huh... Don't know what's up with that. You wouldn't believe how many kits we've sold without a price even attached...

Khris

do we get to pick our own price :p
not sure what you mean by that ?,but how can you sell the kits without the price ??

what's OME?

i don't know if this has been officially established yet, but what's the lift? 4"? 5"? 5.5"? is it slightly adjustable?

welding involved?

off topic: but would there be a solid axle kit coming out within the next few years? such as fabritech? i would much rather have a SAS, but i'm not handy enough to fab it all by myself?

OME- Old man emu springs

Its a leaf pack that gives you about 2" of lift.

We've had shops place orders for customers that want it no matter what the cost is how we sell them with no price.

Should I open bidding?

We've never discussed doing a SAS kit... I doubt the owner would go that way.

The kit is "officially" a 5" lift but we've got trucks running around at 3.5" up to around 6" of lift. It's totally adjustable on the front end.

The kit is 98% bolt on... There are some gussets that need welded on. Check out the July issue of Off-Road. There's a REALLY detailed installtion of the kit covered in there...

Khris

There is a 2.5" difference on vehicles identically outfitted with identical installation??!!

I don't understand this.

Originally posted by becker69
There is a 2.5" difference on vehicles identically outfitted with identical installation??!!

I don't understand this.

It's threaded, so you can twist it up or down to get the amount of lift you need.The overall range is 3.5" to 6".

Thanks... I knew that, at one time (maybe 6+ months ago earlier in the thread :D )

Must've been too late for me to think clearly.

Well, I got the official brochoure in the mail today from RCD. I'll see if I can't scan it in and post it (if I can get it ina reasonable sized file).

Here it is.

Front:
4434front-page.jpg

Back:
4434back-page.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back